Menu

WP QMA; WP Human Body and Forensics; LLftLotR for 15yo ds?

Until yesterday I thought that I was creating a 1-year US history study for ds. Now it looks like we are going in a totally different direction. Middle ds would like to use WinterPromise Quest for the Middle Ages with the WinterPromise Human Body and Forensics and LLftLotR. Last night I found two Teaching Company series (Anatomy and Pysiology and Foundations of Western Civilization) that oldest ds used a couple of years ago. Middle ds would probably just watch them as they were relevant, but it was a cool revelation.

How does this look?

WP QMA- I wouldn't get the High School Middle Ages Lit set, the adventure readers, or the Survey of the New Testament. I would add The Teaching Company's Foundations of Western Civilization (1 History credit, 1/2 a Bible credit, 1/2 an Art credit)

WP Human Body and Forensics; Queen Homeschool's Nature Lessons for Copywork; The Teaching Company's Anatomy and Physiology (1 Science credit)

Literay Lessons from The Lord of the Rings; Jensen's Grammar (1 LA credit)

The Teaching Company's Great Artists of the Italian Renaissance (1/2 an Art credit)

Advanced Math (1 Math credit)

SOS Spanish (1 Spanish credit)

finish Conceptual Physics with Roller Coaster Physics(1/2 Science credit)

This would be 7 credits and that is the most our umbrella will allow in one school year.

Ds is actually smiling about school! Did I miss anything? Does anything look wrong?

Mandy

Hi Mandy,

I hate to reply since my oldest is only in 7th grade. We are actively planning our hs plan and researching tons...does that count?

I thought your plan looked good - we're thinking of doing the same thing next year - QMA/LLLotR with some forensics study (limited b/c we're using a different science program). We've used QAW this year. I liked your addition of the TC DVD's. My only questions - would there be enough Bible to count as 1/2 credit without the Bible Survey book? I have the 4-6th grade guide (haven't gotten the older one yet) and there isn't much Bible listed, is there more in the older guide? I think they read through several books in the NT and then Trial and Triumph.

Also, I'm not sure where your son is in his science sequence, but would it be better to have a lab science as your base? I don't think the WP materials contain many labs. I think they could be used to supplement Bio or Human Phys (like from Apologia) quite nicely.

Just my two cents,

I liked your addition of the TC DVD's.

I ordered Great Artists of the Italian Renaissance today while it was on sale.:D

Would there be enough Bible to count as 1/2 credit without the Bible Survey book? I have the 4-6th grade guide (haven't gotten the older one yet) and there isn't much Bible listed, is there more in the older guide? I think they read through several books in the NT and then Trial and Triumph.

Well, IMHO that alone would warrant a 1/2 credit:tongue_smilie:, but there are two more books- Christian History Made Easy and 100 Important Events in Christian History. There is also a ton of religion in MOH2.

Also, I'm not sure where your son is in his science sequence, but would it be better to have a lab science as your base? I don't think the WP materials contain many labs. I think they could be used to supplement Bio or Human Phys (like from Apologia) quite nicely.

At the end of this year ds will have completed-

2007- 2008

Physical Science (1 credit w/ labs using Apologia)

Biology (1 credit w/ labs Holt Visualizing Life)

2008-2009

Oceanography (1/2 credit using WP S&S w/ 5 Units of Apologia Marine Biology),

Astronomy (1/2 credit using WP S&S w/ DK Universe:The Definitive Visual Guide, The Story of Astronomy)

Conceptual Physics (the first 20 chapters)

Next year, in addition to Human Anatomy and Forensics, he will be finishing Conceptual Physics. He will also be using K'Nex Roller Coaster Physics for labs.

However, WP's Human Body and Forensics includes-

DK's Encyclopedia of the Human Body

Body by Design

Start Exploring Gray's Anatomy- A Fact Filled Coloring Book

The Forensic Casebook

Crime Scene Investigations- Real Life Science Labs for Grades 6-12

The WP website states, "This program covers the same topics as the 4/6 program, but most resources have more content and difficulty. In addition, the forensics portion of this program is more in-depth, and presents exciting “lab work†such as digging for clothing clues, analyzing evidence, measuring out a “crime scene†and working through case studies."

I have no interest in Apologia, with the noted exception of the Marine Biology text, I have not liked them. Per this thread and the quote above, I am even willing to give ds a lab credit in Human Body and Forensics for this course if he actually does the hands-on work. However, if ds promises to dissect them, for $25 I may spring for the mammal organs dissection kit from Home Science Tools.:ack2:

OTOH, this is a child who is going to end up graduating with at least 6 science credits. If this particular course is just for fun instead of to meet a graduation requirement, I am fine with that.;)

Mandy

However, if ds promises to dissect them, for $25 I may spring for the mammal organs dissection kit from Home Science Tools.:ack2:

:lol:

Everything makes sense to me now! Thanks for reminding me about the two church history books. Also, I like how you are being creative with your science - fitting it to history and including some non-conventional topics. Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it.

Thanks for sharing all of your ideas and what you've used in the past. It's impressive! It definitely adds to the education I've been getting here on the boards. Sometimes I can get locked into the traditional subjects and sequence because it is known, but one of the best benefits of homeschooling is that we can tailor everything to our kids. :001_smile:

Best to you next year. Hopefully you will get feedback from moms who have BTDT.

Edited by sandra in va

Here is a list of the books by topic. I realize that I might get more replies if y'all knew the books used.

Religion

Trial and Triumph

Christian History Made Easy

100 Important Events in Christian History

Language Arts

Literary Lessons from The Lord of the Rings

(He will definitely be reading the LOTR trilogy, Beowulf, Macbeth, The Tempest, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and the Hobit. I am not sure what else.)

Jensen's Grammar

Math

Probably TT Precalculus

Human Body and Forensics

TC's An Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology

DK's Encyclopedia of the Human Body

Body by Design

Start Exploring Gray's Anatomy- A Fact Filled Coloring Book

The Forensic Casebook

Crime Scene Investigations- Real Life Science Labs for Grades 6-12

Physics

Conceptual Physics (last 20 chapters)

K'Nex Roller Coaster Physics

History

TC's Foundations of Western Civilization (Lecture 1 and then 16-48)

Oxford Atlas of the Past: Medieval World

Mystery of History Vol 2

The Real Vikings

Famous Man of the Renaissance and Reformation

Archers, Alchemists & 98 Other Jobs

The Medieval World

Medieval Medicine & the Plague

Leonardo ds Vinci Inventions

Investigate the Middle Ages

World of Columbus and Sons

The Seventh Expert

Spanish