Menu

Could I use the 1993 Kingfisher History book with History Odyssey?

jelbe5

I was looking at History Odyssey Ancients Level 2 for next year for my older dd who has not been homeschooled in a classical way. I see the current edition uses the 1999 Kingfisher. I have the older 1993 edition; the one many families prefer. My dd is a very visual learner and I think this book would be great as a history text for her. Could I make it work with the older Kingfisher edition? Would that be possible with the subsequent History Odyssey books (Middle Ages, Early Modern and Modern Times)?

TIA

Adrianne in IL

I have Level 2 Middle Ages, and I made it work with the old text (while we stayed with HO,anyway!). It's petty easy to tell what the topic of the lesson is, and then find the corresponding pages in KIHW using the Table of Contents. The outlines might be somewhat affected (but, I didn't use their outlining suggestions), but the other assignments will be unaffected.

If you needed, you could probably find the KHE at the library, and spend an hour or so correlating it to your KHOW - and making notes in the HO Guide.

HTH!

Rhonda

If I may be so bold....

Has your dd studied Ancients before? I think part of what made HO eventually unpalateable for my ds (he really liked it at first), was that Level 2 really doesn't use a narrative spine. And, since my ds had never studied Ancient history, he wasn't familiar with any of the people, places, or happenings. No stories already floating around in his head, that he was just looking at in a brand new light.

So, if this will be her first go-round of Ancients, I would recommend reading SOTW-1 over the summer - either independently or as a read-aloud. That may seem draconian! But, I don't mean to ask her questions about it, or anything, just read it and enjoy. It would be too much to add it to HO, at least in our experience.

IMHO, YMMV, and all that jazz~