Menu

9th grade plan

Boy, the used curriculum sales are in 2 weeks and I have to figure out my plan. To be honest, I was really planning on taking June to sit with my high schooler and plan out his 4 year plan, but for now this is what I am thinking for 9th grade:

TOG Redesigned 3- rhetoric level history, modified rhetoric literature, and I'm not sure about government, and fine arts. I will do church history/world view. We will do the writing as well.

Chalkdust Geometry

Apologia Chemistry with Teaching Company DVD's

SOS Spanish I

Piano- He normally practices for nearly an hour every day and enters competitions. ( Contemporary, Bach, Karp and Sonatina) He and his brother made the recital for the Karp festival this, but they didn't place. I plan on counting this as music.

He loves computers and did an Alice course, but I don't know what course to use. It looks like that might be his field of study. Also, he hasn't had logic and it feels like a logic course would be good with Geometry and would be useful for computer people. That said, his schedule looks pretty tough already for a 14yo, although he is bright.

Christine

He loves computers and did an Alice course,

Christine, could you share a little more about Alice? My 10yods is taking a class through Virginia Tech which has used Alice. He just logged in and has been playing around with making a movie. Are there other resources? Should I poke around the website more? He's found this to be fun so far.

Thanks!

(We're planning for my dd's 9th grade, but we're still making final decisions too.)

I bought this through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Alice-2-0-Introductory-Concepts-Techniques/dp/1418859346

It comes with a cd with Alice on it so you don't have to download it off the internet. He did it on his own and loved it. That said, there were a couple of exercises at the end that he couldn't figure out how to do and I couldn't help him because I don't have a clue how it works, so we just left it alone.

See this is where I feel lost. He is already past me in computer knowledge but probably behind where he needs to be if that is what he is going to do for a living.

Christine

Thank you, Christine! I have been intrigued by Alice for about two years now thinking it would be fun for my "nerdy" computer-centered 5th grader. I had no idea these books existed. I'm guessing this book would give him some structure and it's not too expensive. It's now on my Amazon wish list for next year.

Blessings,

April in WA