Menu

Homemade wheat bread questions....

HI, I am just starting to produce our family's bread supply with freshly ground wheat, etc. I just came across info. in the Nourishing Traditions cookbook that states that in order to be better digested, the wheat/whatever kind of/flour needs to be soaked in a sour milk mixture. Otherwise it could lead to Celiac, etc., because of our body's inability to process it. Anyone know anything more about this? I don't want to hurt anyone in the name of healthfulness!

HI, I am just starting to produce our family's bread supply with freshly ground wheat, etc. I just came across info. in the Nourishing Traditions cookbook that states that in order to be better digested, the wheat/whatever kind of/flour needs to be soaked in a sour milk mixture. Otherwise it could lead to Celiac, etc., because of our body's inability to process it. Anyone know anything more about this? I don't want to hurt anyone in the name of healthfulness!

Hmmm, well Celiac is a genetic disorder, so I don't know how it could lead to it. If they have a mild case that hasn't been diagnosed or shown symptoms, I suppose it could lead to a worsening of the condition. I agree with a large amount of the things in that book, but some of it strikes me as off. I try to balance what I learned in that book with what I've learned in other places. I don't like to take any one sources as gospel (well other than the actual Gospels in the Bible of course ;)