Menu

Diagramming vs labeling the parts of speech

I was never taught traditional diagramming. When the time came for teaching grammar to my kids we always used Easy Grammar or Shurley English; both use the labeling method. My reason for asking: I want to use WWE: Strong Foundations, as daughter's preparation for SWB next series, "Writing Skills". I noticed that she uses traditional diagramming in that series. Are there compelling arguments for diagramming over the labeling method? Have any of you made a transition from labeling to diagramming? If so, what is the best approach for that transition? Oddly, I've never bothered to investigate this before.

Curious,

Geo

Edited by Geo

I think - and this is only my opinion - that diagramming is more helpful than simply labeling the parts of speech because it demonstrates the relationships of the words to one another in the context of the sentence, which are not always obvious. (For instance, in that sentence, "obvious" would describe "relationships", and thus caused me to go back and change my verb "is" to "are") It helps with clarity of thought when constructing more complex sentences.

I'm not sure how you would make the switch. Our grammar program teaches diagramming as soon as the parts of speech are learned.

We made the switch from labeling to diagramming this year as a result of a change from Shurley English to Rod & Staff. Since DD knew her parts of speech from several years of Shurley it was a matter of teaching the mechanics of diagramming. The transition was quick and painless. We spent a little extra time with the first few Rod & Staff lessons that contained diagramming and now she can diagram well.

I have seen the benefit of diagramming in her writing. She is able to figure out why a sentence doesn't sound right by diagramming and she is then able to reconstruct the sentence in a way that is more grammatically correct. I just asked her about the transition and she said, "diagramming makes so much sense."

I plan to follow the same path with my boys after Shurley 3 or 4.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I just found it and had to chime in.

I don't get the need to diagram. I never had to do anything of the sort until I worked in a school that used the Beka curriculum. Why anyone would need to diagram a compound-complex sentence is beyond me. I know the parts of speech and can explain relationships between words. Mapping it all out makes the grammar more confusing to me, not less.