Menu

Rod & Staff History?

Quiver0f10

but I haven't used it. As far as how meaty they are, I think it depends on the grade level you are considering.

I have the 7th grade text Understanding the Old World. I bought it after becoming frustrated with lack of in depth info in Mystery of History. I wanted a resource book so I wouldn't have to assign research constantly.

I would say their doctrine does show. I have noticed discussions of the importance of being passive during times of war. I'm not sure how much these would bother me. I would probably use it as an opportunity to discuss war and the mennonite point of view. Most of the rest of their doctrine I am sympathetic to, so I may not notice it. I like the fact that they value agriculture far more than other publishers. I think it would be fairly easy to overlook the parts of their doctrine you don't agree with and adapt to your own beliefs.

I haven't used it much yet because I am currently re-evaluating our choices for history curriculum. From what I have seen I would say the 7th grade book is pretty meaty. One thing about R&S is they strive to give you all the information they can for the $-- I think this is a reflection of their work ethic and desire to please God (I'm not saying other publishers don't do this). They really feel their publishing is a ministry, which is probably why they try to keep costs down.

Funny, I was just going to check out the sample pages so I can see what is in the TE. Have you looked at samples?

Shannon

but I haven't used it. As far as how meaty they are, I think it depends on the grade level you are considering.

I have the 7th grade text Understanding the Old World. I bought it after becoming frustrated with lack of in depth info in Mystery of History. I wanted a resource book so I wouldn't have to assign research constantly.

I would say their doctrine does show. I have noticed discussions of the importance of being passive during times of war. I'm not sure how much these would bother me. I would probably use it as an opportunity to discuss war and the mennonite point of view. Most of the rest of their doctrine I am sympathetic to, so I may not notice it. I like the fact that they value agriculture far more than other publishers. I think it would be fairly easy to overlook the parts of their doctrine you don't agree with and adapt to your own beliefs.

I haven't used it much yet because I am currently re-evaluating our choices for history curriculum. From what I have seen I would say the 7th grade book is pretty meaty. One thing about R&S is they strive to give you all the information they can for the $-- I think this is a reflection of their work ethic and desire to please God (I'm not saying other publishers don't do this). They really feel their publishing is a ministry, which is probably why they try to keep costs down.

Funny, I was just going to check out the sample pages so I can see what is in the TE. Have you looked at samples?

Shannon

Thanks. I did look at the samples very briefly and it looks OK. Just hard to get the flavor of the books from just the samples.