Menu

Has anyone used CM 's short time periods using TOG, Jr high or up? how did it go?

Adopted Heiress

I am considering this method for my rising 8th grader because I think it will ease her frustration and build greater attention to detail and quality work. However, I am unsure if it would work with TOG. We are currently going slowly through TOG year 2 and I do not plan to change curriculum.

If anyone has done this, I would greatly appreciate your sharing your experiences..

Julie

I am considering this method for my rising 8th grader because I think it will ease her frustration and build greater attention to detail and quality work. However, I am unsure if it would work with TOG. We are currently going slowly through TOG year 2 and I do not plan to change curriculum.

If anyone has done this, I would greatly appreciate your sharing your experiences..

Julie

Here is a post from Barb, Harmony Art Mom, on how she does exactly that.

We are doing this this year with 6th grade and plan to continue with 7th grade next year. I actually failed with my first attempt at using TOG last year because I just didn't have the confidence to cut things out of it. Since leaving TOG, I have wandered aimlessly trying to find the second best thing and just haven't been happy and content with what we were doing. Now we are back with TOG and making it fit our style of HS and everyone is happy. We are reading the history core aloud in the morning on Monday and Wednesday and a literature read aloud on Tuesday and Thursday. Mapping and Timeline are done on Tuesday, I pick a couple of accountability questions to be done on Wednesday, and a history notebook page is done on Thursday. The discussion is done a little at a time either after reading or during some of the written work periods. We are not doing the literature worksheets though I do look them over to see if there is anything that I should point out. I have left Fridays open as a constructive free time day. This means that the boys are free to pursue other interests. The rules are that if it is good for your mind or body (meaning that they can play outside) then they can do it. This is the day that they have been working on their model castle for example. This is my plan for at least the next couple of years as Drew works through 7th and 8th grade. I no longer feel like TOG is running our lives. I am quite happy to be back with it and we are actually getting to poetry, composer and artist study, and picture study every week now as well as a real art class every Monday morning.

Thank you ladies so much for replying..

Angelina, thank you for posting the link to Harmony Art Mom's blog--it looks like a treasure trove of information for me!! Can't wait to dig in..

Wendy, thanks for sharing. I just have a few quesitons for you..

you said:

We are reading the history core aloud in the morning on Monday and Wednesday and a literature read aloud on Tuesday and Thursday. Mapping and Timeline are done on Tuesday, I pick a couple of accountability questions to be done on Wednesday, and a history notebook page is done on Thursday. The discussion is done a little at a time either after reading or during some of the written work periods. We are not doing the literature worksheets though I do look them over to see if there is anything that I should point out.

Are you using 30 minute time frames for these subjects? Do you kind of mix them in your day at various times like CM recommends-so you are not doing things in the same order every day?

Also, I must admit i try to have dd do the history Core and in-depth readings and I read aloud SOME of the alternative readings. maybe this is way too much to even think about fitting in in a week with the 30 minute time frames?

do you school 6 days per week?

and, LAST question, I promise :001_smile: , how much of your days do you 'school" and how much time do they have for handicrafts, and productive play? or is that where your fridays come in?

Thank you so much

Julie

We are reading the history core aloud in the morning on Monday and Wednesday and a literature read aloud on Tuesday and Thursday. Mapping and Timeline are done on Tuesday, I pick a couple of accountability questions to be done on Wednesday, and a history notebook page is done on Thursday. The discussion is done a little at a time either after reading or during some of the written work periods. We are not doing the literature worksheets though I do look them over to see if there is anything that I should point out.

Are you using 30 minute time frames for these subjects? Do you kind of mix them in your day at various times like CM recommends-so you are not doing things in the same order every day?

Also, I must admit i try to have dd do the history Core and in-depth readings and I read aloud SOME of the alternative readings. maybe this is way too much to even think about fitting in in a week with the 30 minute time frames?

do you school 6 days per week?

and, LAST question, I promise :001_smile: , how much of your days do you 'school" and how much time do they have for handicrafts, and productive play? or is that where your fridays come in?

Thank you so much

Julie

Julie,

I believe I would qualify here.

I limit our reading times to about 15 mins aloud (during lunch). My oldest two map two places a day. If there is more I either carry it over to the next week (if it is light) or cut. My oldest does one or two timeline figures a day.

Now my oldest is a reader, so I will schedule up to a book a day for her to read. Usually the LG Lit, UG lit and a biography (She loves both the Childhood of Famous Americans and the Dear American series, so often one of those). She only occasionally is behind schedule, when she doesn't really like a book. Even then I don't make a big deal about it because she usually finishes it, though it might take her a month. I just call it review.

My 2nd dd isn't the heavy reader she is so she just does the LG lit.

Hands on we do as we have time. Right now we are back logged, so I have quite buying things. Instead we will probably just take out time working on what we have even through it doesn't "match" the history we will be covering.

We hs 4 days a week, and often it takes us longer than a week to do a "TOG week". At this rate we will do two 6 year cycles of history before my oldest graduates. I am OK with that, though it isn't ideal.

Heather

Edited by siloam

Hi Julie. I have time now to try to answer your questions. It might be easiest to give you a run down of my 12yo ds's day. This has come about through 4 years of trial and error and discussing what works for him and what doesn't.

M-Th

8-9 Math (This was his choice. He likes to get an early start on this)

9-10 Morning Meeting (Thank you Angelina for enlightening me)

Bible, Latin recitation, poetry, artist and composer study, picture study, hymns

10-11 TOG read alouds, oral narrations, discussions, questions (This is all done on the couch together. We

probably read for about 30 minutes.)

11-12

Mon: Art

Tue: Map and timeline

Wed: Indep. indepth reading, work on a couple of chosen accountability questions

Thur: Notebooking

12-12:30 lunch

12:30-1 Greek

1-1:30 Latin

Mon: 1:30-3:00 Science (we read this aloud so everyone can enjoy it then Drew works on his notebook using

the older student suggestions and works on the lab or hands on project. He does spend about 30 min. on

each part of his science.)

T-Th 1:30-2:00 English (this is done mostly orally just as reinforcement)

2-3 Writing

Friday is set aside for constructive play and handicrafts. He also does woodworking projects with dh on the weekends. Also, with the exceptions of nightly reading, we do not have homework at night or on the weekends because I want them to have time to explore their own interests. We school only 4 days a week so we do put in a pretty full day on the days that we do have school.

Heather,

thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the glimpse into your home school and how you approach TOG with a CM flavor. It is always good to hear that you don't have to do 'everything' and still get a rich education.. I like the idea of doing the timeline figures a few at a time.. I also read at lunch, and would spend most of the rest of the time reading if my dc had their way! :001_smile: And sometimes I do! so other things slide..

God Bless,

Julie

Hi Julie. I have time now to try to answer your questions. It might be easiest to give you a run down of my 12yo ds's day. This has come about through 4 years of trial and error and discussing what works for him and what doesn't.

Wendy, thank you so much for taking the time to type this out! It is very helpful. Just a few things, if I may...

M-Th

8-9 Math (This was his choice. He likes to get an early start on this)

9-10 Morning Meeting (Thank you Angelina for enlightening me)

Bible, Latin recitation, poetry, artist and composer study, picture study, hymns

I love ! this. I had been doing a little recitation in the morning after BIble (we are using Pudewa's poetry and learning the Greek alphabet) so adding Latin and artist/composer study and picture study is BRILLIANT! Thank you for this...

How do you study Hymns? I have really been wanting to add this, but am unsure. Is there a resource you use? A place online where we could listen to the hymns being sung? I recognize many when I hear them, but not enough to carry the tune without listening and I don't read music well, although my oldest dc does... Any insight would be appreciated..

10-11 TOG read alouds, oral narrations, discussions, questions (This is all done on the couch together. We

probably read for about 30 minutes.)

11-12

Mon: Art

Tue: Map and timeline

Wed: Indep. indepth reading, work on a couple of chosen accountability questions

Thur: Notebooking

12-12:30 lunch

12:30-1 Greek

1-1:30 Latin

Mon: 1:30-3:00 Science (we read this aloud so everyone can enjoy it then Drew works on his notebook using

the older student suggestions and works on the lab or hands on project. He does spend about 30 min. on

each part of his science.)

T-Th 1:30-2:00 English (this is done mostly orally just as reinforcement)

2-3 Writing

Friday is set aside for constructive play and handicrafts. He also does woodworking projects with dh on the weekends. Also, with the exceptions of nightly reading, we do not have homework at night or on the weekends because I want them to have time to explore their own interests. We school only 4 days a week so we do put in a pretty full day on the days that we do have school.

Again, thank you so much for investing the time in sharing with me. It has been insightful

God Bless, Julie

I really would call TOG with the books you need on the shelf open go. I look things over during the weekend to finalize which reading assignments we will do, print out the maps and check the status of any other supplies that we need. I work full time and we are doing fine with it.

I don't know if I qualify as a TOG CM scheduler. If CM scheduling means having my son's day scheduled down to the last minute...which would drive him, and me, crazy...then I am definitely not a CM scheduler. :D

What I do is hand him a schedule of what HE is to have done by weeks end. He then separates his assignments into daily bits and proceeds to complete them as he desires. If one day he desires to get his math done first, he will do his math first. If he chooses to wait until the end of the day...so be it. All I require is that everything be done by days end. During lunch I will read our current read-aloud. Right after lunch, I usually work with him on the subjects we like to do together like Bible, Writing, Latin, and Spelling. But these will often be completed throughout the day as well. History, Lit, English, Science, Math, Vocab, and Art (cartooning) he does on his own in whatever daily sequence he so desires.

This works well for us and is teaching him to learn to manage his time wisely. If he is not done with his school by dinner...he gets in BIG, BIG trouble with Dad. ;)