Menu

Scott AFB IL area - weather questions

Good morning again! We are likely moving to IL (near Scott AFB) this summer. I have a question about the winter weather in that area. Is there a lot of snow and ice on a regular basis, or just a few times each winter? Currently we live in a tiny town about 45 min. from the base where DH works. He loves the drive, and we love living away from the hustle & bustle of a big metro area. We are wondering, however, if living 30-45 min. away from Belleview would be a good idea if the winter weather is routinely bad. I'm not too keen on DH driving in snow and ice for a long drive each day.

Anyone live in the area who can help with this one? Thanks!!!

Hi! We lived in Edwardsville for 3 years. I rarely found the weather to be bad on a regular basis. However, I did move there from upstate NY. But still, I recall one "bigger" snow the whole 3 years we were there. By bigger I mean maybe 8 inches or so. It is a lovely area! Where are you thinking of living?

I still have a friend in Collinsville. We were in E'ville from Dec 97 to Jan 2001. Great little town to live in!

It is a lovely area! Where are you thinking of living?

We aren't sure yet. As it is, DH is at Scott 1-2 weeks/mo. He is slowly scouting the area, and I am forever online looking at houses! I think I like Glen Carbon, Edwardsville, and Troy. Closer to Scott we like O'Fallon. We are so excited about the possibility of a move to the Midwest. DH thinks it's inevitable and now it's just a waiting game!

I live in the St. Louis area (on the Missouri side). Winters are usually not that bad as far as snow goes. My dh is a MD. He commuted to Belleville/SAFB for residency for three years. I can't ever remember him having a problem with the roads. This winter has been more snowy than usual, with slick roadways about three times.