Menu

Jumping from Shurley 3 to Shurley 5

FloridaMomTo5

My dd attended Classical Conversations Essentials course this year and has pleaded with me to do Shurley English next year instead. She loved SE 2 and 3. She did well in CC this year so I'm just thinking of picking up again with SE 5 instead of doing 4 (the one she missed this year b/c of CC).

For those of you that have done 4 and 5 (maybe even 3-5) is this a good idea to skip 4?

Thanks!

I think the only new concept that was taugt was indirect objects. Honestly, it felt like more of a review of 3 then a new book.

ETA: Forgot to add we skip the writing portion so that might be different. If you are using a seperate writing program you might be fine.

Edited by TCoppock

Just a question...are you planning on CC for Foundations, still? And are you still doing IEW? Can you tell me what she likes more about Shurley?

No. We will not be using CC at all for next year. There are a lot of practical reasons for this. We live far and baby #4 will be here this summer, but in addition to that my ds 6 hates foundations. He loves new friends and lunch afterward, but does not like the coursework. I'm noticing that this is just not his learning style, and since my primary goal aside from raising "confident communicators for Christ" is that they LOVE learning. I just have not seen this come from CC this year. That's not to say that CC is not a good program. I think it is. It just isn't fitting the needs of our family right now.

As far as Essentials goes... We have an EXCELLENT tutor for this course, which I feel is important for success in it. Having said that... We will just not do Essentials if we are not doing Foundations. Also, my dd 10 prefers Shurley English to Essentials. Again, this points to the difference in learning style. She says she enjoys SE b/c of its Jingles (I know a lot of people hate these but hey it works for her). I have enjoyed IEW, and will try to continue this at a closer Co-Op that is not a CC program. They offer a course in IEW as well as other extracurricluar class options.