Menu

New here, question about SCAT scores and EPGY

Guest ktaveira

Guest ktaveira

My 2nd grader made the CTY this week in verbal, but missed math by one point. I don't actually need the verbal for him, as I can supplement that myself. I only had him take the SCAT because I am weak on the math side of things and can't keep him challenged without some outside help!

Does anyone know, will EPGY consider accepting him if he's one point shy of the CTY qualifications?

Thanks!

EPGY has their own free online testing (or I believe you can submit other outside testing such as IQ tests or achievement data). But in my experience, the cuts on their testing is lower than the CTY cuts. The testing is pretty brief too...less than an hour. Once you sign up as if you plan to take a class, you can access their placement testing. You'll probably access the other options they'll allow from there as well. If he missed CTY by one point, I would expect he'd make it easily on the EPGY.

Good luck!

We used EPGY - we have had great luck with the web based. I have found them to be cheaper the the Hopkins program and the enterence test are not as difficult. Also my second child got accepted because her brother was all ready enrolled.

The software is the same up until 6th grade. Then based on my research "people" are saying that the Hopkins software is better. I know my sister used the EPGY software for 8th grade and found it had too many bugs in it.

But like I said we used EPGY for my son up until 4th grade - we are now watching Chalk Dust algebra

My 8 year old is about halfway through 3rd grade and she loves it.

What I like is that it is a smart program and if they children know how do do the math they only get a few problems, but if they are slow in answering or make mistakes they get more. It also helped my oldest get into a GT program at school because he had documented GT classes.

Guest ktaveira

I emailed EPGY and asked first, so he wouldn't have to go through the bother of another test etc. if his score was too low. They said those SCAT scores do qualify him, so we'll just have to complete the process online and off we go! Thanks!