Menu

What program have real subject integration?

home4school

I know all programs, (TOG, MFW, WP, etc.) but which ones have true subject integration? For example, the post on k12 of course got me curious and I was off to look. While I know we could not survive the VA, the notes interested me bc it talked about studying Ancienct Egypt in history, reading such and such book that was set in that period, and in art making a pyramid or some such thing.

That's what I want, ties it all together. I know all the big programs tie history, geography, and readers together. But what about bringing in art projects, fine arts of the period? I have to say, k12 even brought in names of states for spelling tests when covering that in history/geography. But, I prefer a Christian source.

I think maybe Easy Classical schedules tie art in some, but not fine arts.

I was actually leaning toward MFW for the upcoming year, but I don't know that it ties it "all" together.

Any input ladies?

Blessings,

Kim

I know all programs, (TOG, MFW, WP, etc.) but which ones have true subject integration? For example, the post on k12 of course got me curious and I was off to look. While I know we could not survive the VA, the notes interested me bc it talked about studying Ancienct Egypt in history, reading such and such book that was set in that period, and in art making a pyramid or some such thing.

That's what I want, ties it all together. I know all the big programs tie history, geography, and readers together. But what about bringing in art projects, fine arts of the period? I have to say, k12 even brought in names of states for spelling tests when covering that in history/geography. But, I prefer a Christian source.

I think maybe Easy Classical schedules tie art in some, but not fine arts.

I was actually leaning toward MFW for the upcoming year, but I don't know that it ties it "all" together.

Any input ladies?

Blessings,

Kim

TOG ties things all together including fine arts/projects/artists. It even ties in philosophy (for the older grades) and Bible/church history. Plus it teaches about other religions as you study other cultures. The literature is also integrated into the history.

Sarah

Thanks for the input. I thought TOG did tie it all in, but I'm so afraid of "the fog". I'm in enough of a fog already, without TOG!

I didn't realize MFW ties so much together. It seems to be a jr version of TOG, yes?

I thought that was really neat the way k12 even tied in the spelling words, but having Bible and Church history are more important to me! Any goofball should be able to add to a spelling list, right? Pulling church history into a secular program would be a little more difficult, don't you think!:tongue_smilie:

I just want to have a fun year where we learn lots. Just not happening right now.

Thanks again!

Kim

We've used most of the mentioned curriculum in our nine years of homeschooling and by far the best integrated in TOG. Don't let the idea of, "The Fog" intimidate you! Lampstand Press has created lots of helps for figuring out TOG and there are so many helper users here and on the TOG boards. It's worth your time to check it out. They have multiple week samples that you can download and see for yourself if it's something you might enjoy.

Joy!

Lisa

One thing I wished I had known about earlier and had committed to from the start was Artistic Pursuits. It's arranged so that the art appreciation is chronological while it builds up skills. If you add it into a History program that doesn't have art, it will be "done" for you!

As well, a Homeschooling Mom has put together an art and music study course which also corresponds to the 4 History cycles.