Menu

Where would you begin to search for ideas on a deck and landscaping? (M)

There are lots of softcover books on deck ideas and how to build decks. For full price, check places like Menard's. (They have a section for how-to books.) You may be able to find the same books on line discounted. Also, check your library.

Cost may dictate whether you choose to put in a deck or a patio. At ground level, a deck is probably the least expensive. I have seen designs for decks that are *much* nicer than the standard rectangle, though. That's why I think it's a good idea to check out books. Here is one website that has pictures of different decks. I'm sure there are others you can find by Googling.

I'm not sure if you're planning on designing/installing yourself or wanting someone to do a design for you. There are a couple of different paths you can take.

DYI - look thru magazines/landscaping books for ideas you like and/or check out the Home and Garden Network website - they have a section on gardening and landscaping. There are lots of good plant books out there (most with pretty pictures) that will tell you whether or not the plants you are thinking of are good for your site (climate/sun/etc.)

If you are looking for someone to do a design for you - check in your phone book under Landscape Designer and/or Landscape Architect. They are different. In VA LA's have to be licensed LD's do not. This is not to say that there aren't some very qualified designers out there. Your requirements will depend upon your needs (retaining wall, wet site, wet land, etc.). You can also check out some of your local nurseries. Often times the ones around here will do a free design for you.

Hope this helps. Most importantly - think carefully about how you want to use the space before you get started.

Lots of luck

Peggy