Menu

Language Arts recommendations, please

runamuk

We just finished our Wordly Wise 3000 (Book 3) and I'm not sure where to go next. Elle (3rd grade) didn't care for it very much and didn't seem to retain much from the lessons. I'd like to try something different.

I'm wondering what would be a good program to use for Language Arts at this point in the year. We don't have a formal program, just WW and a writing/grammar book from our Winter Promise set.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this and any recommendations you may have. :)

I'm working on a language arts curriculum but it isn't ready yet.

So in the meantime, I'd have to say I like Abeka.

We were using R&S (4th grade) but discovered it wasn't a good fit for us. I'm still trying to understand why capitalization was at the end of the book and diagramming was near the front?

We used FLL 3 for 3rd grade for my oldest. It wasn't his favorite thing but at least he stopped crying during grammar. His favorite part was the giant workbook and having lots of space as he writes a bit big.

Hope this helps,

Heidi

I am not sure what you are looking for, but we have found CLE to work for us.

Jennie

I'm not sure what I'm looking for, either. I'm thinking I probably need a whole new program for Language Arts. Our writing program doesn't go into much detail on the hows and whys of doing things (like why I would use a semi-colon instead of a comma or explaining the use of commas when using quotation marks), and it's frustrating for us to work it out as we go along. I'm not crazy about starting a new program in the middle of the year, especially since we seem to have found our groove, but I don't want to drop LA, either.

Heidi, that does seem like it would be backwards with having the book set up that way. And I'd like to hear more about your LA curriculm, when it's ready, of course. :)

Heidi, that does seem like it would be backwards with having the book set up that way. And I'd like to hear more about your LA curriculm, when it's ready, of course. :)

I'm thinking of having a volunteer family or two "test drive" it for me. That way I can tweak things or add things that may be missing.

Heidi

• 3 weeks later...