Menu

Do you do GWG with your child? Are there tests & review?

KIN

I did GWG in 1st & 2nd grade with my oldest, then switched to R&S for 3rd. Now I'm thinking of going back! Ack! I just want to set a course, KWIM? :) R&S has too much writing so we've been doing it almost all orally. I was thinking GWG might be a nice combo, we'd go over the lesson together then he could do the worksheet independently.

The parts I like about R&S - it has all the grades, it has review questions each day, and tests at the end of a unit.

The part I don't like is only that ds has to hand write all the answers so we end up doing it all orally (he despises writing, but doesn't mind workbooks. I think they trick him into writing.). I wonder about him not doing written practice. Will it stick?

I switched from GWG b/c ds was doing it all on his own and I thought I should know what's going on in his lessons a bit more (teach the teacher). Anyway, what do you think?

There is review in each lesson and at the end of each chapter (you "could" use this as a test) there is a larger review section.

GWG is very easy for the teacher (aka mom) to jump in and read what is going on with the child's work if they are doing it independently. I correct the work with my child when they complete it. Sometimes (ok most of the time), I read the lessons with my children. They aren't long lessons and they are easy to understand. I spend no more than 5-10 min reading with my children.

Can I just say again... I LOVE GWG! :)

Edited by Tina in WA
WOW! way to many extra words there... and wrong word usage... OH My...

This curriculum is wonderful! I've been using it for two years, and it's really terrific.

The mom can be as involved as she wants to be (I think it's better to be more involved than less involved...) I do this by correcting my daughter's work each day either as she finishes it or at the end of the day. This way I know exactly what she's doing in the course. I DO wish there were tests in addition to the end of chapter reviews; perhaps this is something Tami will go back and add in when she finishes the whole series. In the meantime, it really isn't necessary. We struggle as it is to finish the whole book by the end of the year.

Hope this helps...