Menu

Is Lial's Basic College Math enough of an intro to Algebra...

Kim in SouthGa

My 12ds (7th grade) is finishing up MUS Epsilon, and we will start Lial's in a couple of weeks. I think we may be able to skip some of the first sections...we did a big review earlier this year using Mastering Essential Math Skills. Will he need a PreAlgebra program after Lial's BCM? I plan to use Jacob's or Chalkdust for Algebra.

TIA

My oldest ds, who is fairly math-bright, went directly from BCM into Jacobs with absolutely no problems. The first four chapters of Jacobs are mostly pre-algebra anyway.

My second ds, who is math-challenged, used BCM and then Lial's Introductory Algebra. He worked the first two or three books of the Key to Algebra series to "get" integers and variables. The BCM pre-algebra chapter wasn't enough for him.

I think you'll be able to tell after completing BCM and starting your algebra program whether he needs more help. The Key to books are great supplements in this case. I'm not familiar with Chalkdust, sorry!

I have both Lials BCM and Chalkdust Pre-Alg. They are almost identical in what they cover. The only maijor difference I notice is that Lials, has clearer instruction, more step by step style.The DVD's from Chalkdust would fill that gap. Lials also covers more of each topic, meaning more problems on each topic. I am guessing this is because it's used sometimes as a remedial math program for many community colleges (including ours:)

Good Luck!