Menu

All time favorite recipe for entertaining

Calling all cooks,

I need as in capital NEED a couple of really great entertaining recipes, for when we have another family or couple over for dinner. I am not a cook, I do what I need to do and I can follow a recipe but thats about it. My husband and I are wanting to entertain more but I hold back due to my '"failure" in the kitchen. I pick recipes out of books or magazines but its hit or miss if they are any good. Can any cook out there pass along some of their greatness?

Thanks,

Sheryl

I have had great success with the recipes at Ree's blog. It helps that she takes photos of each step and talks you all the way through. The Olive Cheese Bread is wonderful and easy. It's listed in the appetizer section, but it is very hearty. Dh loves it, and paired with a salad, makes a yummy meal.

This is always a hit, and incredibly simple. I use stock in place of the water and bullion granules, because that's what I have on hand, and I usually serve it with roasted asparagus (toss with olive oil, salt & pepper, spread it out on a baking sheet and put it in a hot - 400 - oven until it's browned... maybe 10 - 15 minutes)

French Chicken in Vinegar Sauce is also always a huge hit, usually with the Pepper-Spiked Polenta and steamed green beans, which I sometimes toss with toasted almonds.

ETA: Both can be started and "parked" (the herb-cream one before adding the cream stuff), and then finished before serving, so you don't have to feel like you either need to feed people as they walk through the door or be trapped in the kitchen the whole time.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Also to consider: a pot of hearty soup, a big salad and a loaf of crusty bread are always well received and easy for entertaining. I have entertained with French onion soup, a big bowl of Caesar salad and, yes, more bread. Depending on the evening, I might have a plate of fruit and cheese ready when guests arrive, since it's a light meal.

Quiche is easy, versatile and perfectly acceptable hot, cold, or at room temp. Also an easy dinner with salad.

This is always a big hit and you can use any kind of ground meat you want and it doubles & triples easy. Most people have these ingredients on hand.

Mexican Dip

1 can refried beans

8 oz sour cream

6 oz jar picante sauce or salsa

8 oz peper jack cheese

1.5 Lbs ground beef

1 packet taco seasoning

tortilla chips or tortillas

This dip is layered as following:

1st layer - refried beans

2nd layer - sour cream

3rd layer - ground meat

4th layer - picante or salsa

5th layer - cheese

Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes. Stir well when done and serve with tortilla chips or as a burrito mix in tortillas.

I've made this with beef, elk and venisen. I've also used a variety of different cheeses. I've not met anyone who didn't like it; even people who don't like meat a lot.

If you don't have taco seasoning or you can't use it because of the msg I found a great taco seasoning mix on the internet.

Taco Seasoning

6 teaspoons chili powder

5 teaspoons paprika

4 1/2 teaspoons cumin

3 teaspoons onion powder

2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

In storage container with tight fitting lid, combine all ingredients; mix well. Seal tightly. Sotre in cool dry place for up to 6 months.

7 teaspoons of mix equal 1.25 oz pkg. of purchased taco seasoning mix.