Menu

Apologia General Science and Other Middle School Science Question

This question may be a bit niche. I’m having a hard time getting science off the ground this year. I do science and history with all of my kids as a group, and it is typically done through reading books, notebooking, videos, etc. I’d like a more systematic approach for my oldest (7th grade). I don’t want to hold back his schoolwork when his younger siblings are having difficulty focusing, not being cooperative, etc. I’ve always had apologia general science on my radar; however the reviews seem to be mixed on here. He does not love science, and I don’t want to overwhelm him with this massive (and dry?) textbook. I see that some recommend the second edition rather than the newer third edition. 

I have found pacing plans online for the second edition, as well as notebooking pages that you can purchase. This brings me to my actual question: Does anyone know of a resource that includes links to videos related to the chapters for the second edition? I’m not sure if this exists. We do so much reading in our homeschool that I wouldn’t mind him having some YouTube videos that reinforce concepts in the text. I’m also open to this for the third edition. Or even a different curriculum altogether. Our reading real books approach is getting harder for me to be consistent with as he gets older. I’m also open to continue using living books but I don’t know which ones are good for science beyond picture books. I’ve looked at ambleside and some look good but some also outdated. I love history and can spend all day on it; I don’t want science to fall through the cracks for my kids because I am not as passionate about it. Thanks!