Menu

Soon to be 2 year old "curriculum"

Amanda1989

I just purchased Abeka's 2s and 3s for my 18 month old to incorporate him in a fun way. My question is does anyone else incorporate their littlest ones, and how do you do it? I planned on him having "school" for 10-15 minutes a day. Then the rest of the day is play. he's been at grandma's house while I WFH until now, trying to figure this out lol

I'll just throw in there that, depending on the child, 10-15 minutes of formal worksheets may be way more than an 18-month-old can handle. Or is interested in. 😉 Making a special separate "school time" for littlest with reading, puzzles and games that ClowPow mentions above would be great for an 18-month-old.

You asked for ideas for incorporating littlest one into the homeschooling:

18 easy high chair activities for toddlers
Blog article with great exploration learning ideas. Everyone is at the table doing their schoolwork, including littlest one in a high chair.

Activity center or "blanket time" near where the rest of you are schooling
Rotate through special toys that only come out during "school" time. Put out activities for learning and developing motor skills through sorting, stacking, mixing, etc. -- raid your kitchen

Back porch school
While you and other DC are working, the littlest one is playing with a tub of bubbles, or a tub of water and doing a "toy wash". Or, fill with damp sand and littlest one makes roads and hills and tunnels in the sand for little cars or toys. Or, using sidewalk chalk, if you have a concrete slab back porch. Or, let littlest wander and explore or play in the backyard while you have one eye on littlest, and school the older siblings.

Letter of the Week and other free lesson plans
Brightly Beaming Resources is a website with free lesson plans for ages birth to 8yo:
nursery age = 1-2 year olds
prepatory = 2-4yo (preparing for reading)
letter of the week = 2-5yo
sound of the week = 3-6yo
story of the week = 4-7yo
science of the week = 4-5yo
country of the week = 4-5yo

And, if grandma is available, and not too far away, that could be an awesome opportunity for each of the grandkids to have 1 morning a week to have special time with grandma. Maybe if grandma is up for it, until the littlest is a bit older, littlest goes MWF for 2-3 hours, and then on Tues and Thurs one of each of the older goes for 2-3 hours for their special time once a week with grandma.

(Or, will they already all be going to grandma's for most of the day for you to work from home?)

Edited by Lori D.