Menu

All About Spelling - Going through all the levels

Red Dove

Has anyone gone through all the levels of AAS? Have you found it useful? Would you recommend going all the way through it, or only covering up to a certain point. 

Sometimes I wonder if it might be overkill. Correct me if I’m wrong. 

Both my kids did all 7 levels. It was absolutely worth the time and I would not have skipped any levels. They each finished level 7 at some point during 5th grade (we don't take summers off over here). We replaced spelling with a brief study of word roots, and now they just learn words that are particular to a subject. 

36 minutes ago, El... said:

Both my kids did all 7 levels. It was absolutely worth the time and I would not have skipped any levels. They each finished level 7 at some point during 5th grade (we don't take summers off over here). We replaced spelling with a brief study of word roots, and now they just learn words that are particular to a subject. 

Ok, good. I guess I am just feeling tired because it takes a while to do with different age groups. I will keep at it. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Red Dove said:

Ok, good. I guess I am just feeling tired because it takes a while to do with different age groups. I will keep at it. Thank you!

It's a lot sometimes! 

Sometimes it went faster if we did a lesson on a whiteboard. Also, after a certain point both my kids refused to use the magnetic tiles, and things went faster.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2024 at 3:54 PM, El... said:

How long did it take to get through all 7? Level one is only 24 lessons, this isnt going to take us long at all. Wondering if you need to slow down on the other levels or not.

4 minutes ago, Amanda1989 said:

How long did it take to get through all 7? Level one is only 24 lessons, this isnt going to take us long at all. Wondering if you need to slow down on the other levels or not.

We started after finishing Ordinary Parent's Guide, so around age 5 or 6, and didn't rush. I think with an older kid it would go pretty fast! 

I went through all the levels with one kid and quit after level 5 with two of my others since they are very natural spellers. My 8yo is currently on level 5. I haven't decided if I'll have her keep going or not. 

We do lesson one day, words day 2, half of the sentences day 3, other half day 4, and writing station day 5. Sometimes there is extra stuff like homophones that add a day in there. This keeps it very manageable and fairly painless. 

• Like 1