Menu

Middle and High School level Chinese

Crossposted from Asian American Homeschoolers: A Collaborative Community on Facebook

I had a productive conversation with Yang Wang at Westlake about live homeschool classes online. She is working on an update to their website to make it clearer that they offer online Chinese courses. I will be assisting with developing that schedule of classes. I will be scheduling an online webinar for two homeschooling groups of interest: Chinese as second language and Heritage speakers (done in Chinese). She offers middle and high school classes. She told me that she will develop a schedule no later than 3/15 for registration.

Accredited online Chinese 1-4, AP and post-AP Chinese literature classes are offered. There are 10 teachers available to teach. I feel comfortable based on my almost 2 hour conversation to say that this is a strong contender. Integrated Chinese is used for 1-4. The classes are intentionally small min. 3 max 6. AP max 8. The cost is more expensive than average ($1400), but the level of personal interaction and emphasis in fluidity in conversation plus the extras of free conversational practice two sessions a week. I really am intrigued that they offer a Chinese immersion camp as well.

Stay tuned. Got a lot rolling today on this. I explained the gaps and pitfalls of current existing offerings and the critiques I had. She was very receptive and very curious to learn about homeschoolers. This is a more modern approach to the pedagogical model she follows. No old-school styles of teaching imported from overseas. She trained the teachers to deliver consistently in the same way with the values she prioritizes. The webinar will be recorded for families. It will be a weekday night 5 PST/8 EST. The online homeschool times are looking like early afternoon CST. this is the subpage with descriptions of the class levels. https://westlakechineseacademy.org/young-adults-10-18-yrs-old-classes/ Feel free to boost this in your circles. Custom classes for an existing group can be scheduled. Classes for youngers are possible, but I am solving for middle and high school levels as families are making decisions right now. I was able to get her to move up her schedule release from May to March 15.

Edited by calbear

Update from Yang:

Update 3/3: Webinar 3/12 at 6 PM PST/9 PM EST.

Google link to register for webinar. This is the Chinese for non-native speakers webinar. No time right now with getting classes out and available by 3/15.

Flex scheduling as long as 3 students interested in same level.

Blue and Yellow Geometric Webinar Flyer.png

From Yang: The way it works in our school is students provide their time availability information on the registration form, then we group the students who are at the same level and have similar time availability together.

All group classes are small-size, between 3 and 6 students each group, so it's very easy to form groups that match students' schedule demand. For each level, we have the capacity to offer multiple groups at different times. Our team has over 10 teachers, most of whom have flexible schedules before after-school time on weekdays.

We plan to give parents time to register first, then at around mid-March, we can form new groups and determine the final schedule of each group.

Registration link for Chinese classes is here. Deposit of $100:

https://westlakechineseacademy.org/young-adults-10-18.../

Thank you for posting this.  I am interested in this for my son.  He took Mandarin online through the NSLI-Y through the state department this past fall and really enjoyed it.  He will be a junior next year.  I would like to try to attend the webinar, but there is not a link I could find on the website.

On 3/7/2024 at 8:58 AM, mjbucks1 said:

Thank you for posting this.  I am interested in this for my son.  He took Mandarin online through the NSLI-Y through the state department this past fall and really enjoyed it.  He will be a junior next year.  I would like to try to attend the webinar, but there is not a link I could find on the website.

Bluehost her provider went down as part of the internet outages last week. The webinar registration is that QR code in the photo i posted. You will get to it from there.

On 3/9/2024 at 11:52 PM, SoCal_Bear said:

Bluehost her provider went down as part of the internet outages last week. The webinar registration is that QR code in the photo i posted. You will get to it from there.

Thank you.  I signed up.