Menu

Funky smell in my house...

Just got back from a day away, and my whole house smells like acetone/ nail polish remover. For some reason this is ringing a bell with me, but when I have googled it, all that comes up is the possibility of a meth lab - I know that is not it!!!

Anybody have this experience??? What is that smell? How do I get rid of it?

Just got back from a day away, and my whole house smells like acetone/ nail polish remover. For some reason this is ringing a bell with me, but when I have googled it, all that comes up is the possibility of a meth lab - I know that is not it!!!

Anybody have this experience??? What is that smell? How do I get rid of it?

no. . .

Do you have natural gas anything in your house? I know everyone tells you that it has a rotten egg smell (sulfur), but I also know that a son of mine and myself discovered a gas leak from a funky smell that most assuredly was not "sulfuric". (In fact, the gas man -- what a title!-- thought we were nuts till he turned his little machine on and discovered the leak.)

I can't recall the smell well enough to describe it (3 years ago), but I do remember it gave me a headache -- which I also get with nail polish remover.

Anyway, having the gas man come out to check is free (at least in our area).

and the prize goes to... mythreesons, for a correct guess, and for making me laugh! There was a clementine on top of the refrigerator that had become mildewed. Eww. I'm hoping the smell of freshly cut pine tree will mask that acetone smell.

Unfortunately, the kid who is old enough to look is about the worst searcher on the planet and would have walked around the house in circles waiting for the offensive item to jump into her hands. "I can't find it mom!!!" Well, hon, neither can I when I just walk ineffectually in circles!!!!

Haha...this sounds like my oldest son. He will stand in his room and occasionally squat down and then stand back up yelling, "mom, I have looed everywhere and I can't find it!" Generally, I come in his room and within 3 seconds find it about 3" from him. :(

We call it the Male E____ disease. Every one of my guys is challenged when it comes to finding things. Dh is especially bad. Middle ds does the best; youngest ds does well when there's a reward. Oldest ds rarely tries.

This most often comes into play with library books. When I finally give up and pay for a lost book, the guys know that they'll receive half of the money I get back from the library if we find it within six months. It's usually found within a week or two ....