Menu

has anyone used Gentle Feast?

flmom79

My preschooler is currently working through A Gentle Feast's Lessons in Sight and Sound, and loving it (at least compared to other phonics/reading programs).  Although I'm not as enthused about the nature study components of the main curriculum (as opposed to a more standard/comprehensive approach to science), and I have a few other minor bones to pick, the fact that my little one absolutely LOVES the layout of the books and planning pages makes it all just not a struggle.  Given that I need to plan our program of study for her upcoming kindergarten year, could anyone share his or her experiences with A Gentle Feast curriculum as a whole? Thank you! 

I don’t think you’ll find any bad reviews, it’s mainly about reading quality literature.  Science shouldn’t be formal until much later, nature is relevant to a child.  Anything that gets you reading a loud frequently is good.  The manual is more for you, do you find it easy to follow? 

• Like 3

On 2/27/2023 at 2:24 PM, Lovinglife123 said:

I don’t think you’ll find any bad reviews, it’s mainly about reading quality literature.  Science shouldn’t be formal until much later, nature is relevant to a child.  Anything that gets you reading a loud frequently is good.  The manual is more for you, do you find it easy to follow? 

I do.  But it's also helpful for her to see, because she clearly feels like she is accomplishing something -- she has a tendency to think that my self-driven planning is an attempt to create pointless work for her. Checking things off someone else's Official List is her gamechanger, evidently.  Have had other children but not one quite like this:). Also, she really likes the layout of the books intended for student use.  We were trying to use Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, which I personally think is the gold standard in phonics instruction, but the little one (unlike older siblings) couldn't focus on the small, denser, pictureless print.  

I have one like that!!! He thrives with my notebook checklist, but only because I get the assignments from his curriculum, he can see it for himself.  IMO if it’s working then it’s fine.  

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Like 1