Menu

Borenson vs. Picciotto Algebra?

Does anyone have enough knowledge of Borenson's Hands-On Equations and Picciotto's Algebra Lab Gear (or Algebra: Themes, Tools, Concepts) to compare the two?  I'm researching for my youngest, who learns best with visuals and thrives with hands-on material.  He's done Borenson's fractions lessons with great success and I was planning to do the Hands-On Equations, too, but then I ran across something about Picciotto's algebra and that got me wondering.  I'm not sure if they cover the same material or if one is more extensive or advanced than the other, so I thought I'd ask here and hope someone has wisdom to share.

Any other recommendations or advice re: a very hands-on child as we head into middle and high school?

The former is a fun way to introduce the basics of algebraic equations to younger (sometimes much younger) children, or to remediate older students who are struggling conceptually. The latter seems to be a fully fleshed out highschool algebra 1 textbook, and is therefore more advanced (if not necessarily "better")

Edited by Malam
  • Thanks 1