Menu

World's Story 2 - Master Books

Ting Tang

While looking at Story of the World II, I came across World's Story 2.  The samples I have seen are very colorful and full of pictures.  I think my son would love that for history.   It says it is a text for grades 6-8.

I've read a few criticisms of it from Cathy Duffy as well as here. I understand the author isn't a historian, but has anyone looked at it and found it to be bearable?  I was thinking of using it as a spine/guide and buying supplements to go with it.  

Or is it that bad?  He will also only be in 5th grade. 

ETA - it is from Master Books. I find the stories with their math lessons to be....annoying and very cheesy to the core. Sometimes they have nothing to do with the math.

Edited by Ting Tang

17 minutes ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I really liked the looks of it but already own SOTW and can’t justify having both.  I think at this age I worry less about accuracy than I do about engagement.  They’ll come across lots of opinions over the years.

I love the color.  After using a very bland curriculum this year for most things, I think he'd enjoy it.  I do not think he'd be very excited about SOTW's appearance, even if it is really a great read.    🙂  I think if we do a timeline touching on key events and enjoy the pictures, he might be inspired. 

Have you looked at Notgrass History? We are using Our Star-Spangled Story from them and we love it (they also have a world history offering for 5-8th). It is a colorful textbook with real pictures of depictions or actual buildings/places. Ray Notgrass did study history. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Clarita said:

Have you looked at Notgrass History? We are using Our Star-Spangled Story from them and we love it (they also have a world history offering for 5-8th). It is a colorful textbook with real pictures of depictions or actual buildings/places. Ray Notgrass did study history. 

I haven't looked at Notgrass in a while, but I just took a look, and this one looks pretty nice, too!  We need color. I think I need color, too, lol.

3 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

But I think you said you were limited on library resources.

Actually not anymore, so good to know. My library was only unavailable because of COVID. That's good to know though for the future. For the time being we'll just continue with Notgrass.