Menu

Spelling Workout...

Does anyone know where I can get a peak inside the 2000 series of books? I can't seem to find them anywhere that lets me preview the book.

Those of you that use Spelling Workout...what level would you recommend starting a 4th grade struggling speller who is already using (and missing a few words) in Spelling Power level A and Calvert Spelling CD?

Those of you that use Spelling Workout...what level would you recommend starting a 4th grade struggling speller who is already using (and missing a few words) in Spelling Power level A and Calvert Spelling CD?

Spelling Workout is not appropriate for a struggling speller, but rather a natural speller.

For a struggling speller, consider Apples and Pears Spelling or All about Spelling. My strongest most urgent recommendation would be for All About Spelling. It can make a strong speller out of anyone.

Katherine

We tried AAS and absolutely hated it! We are making progress with the method we are using now - Spelling Power starting at Level A and the Calvert Mastery Series CD for his grade level. His issue is that he has an almost photographic short term memory and could regurgitate words on a spelling test...but then promptly forget them. He missed learning a lot of little words and basics that we are now picking up by reading a lot more and doing the early levels of Spelling Power.

I appreciate the tip though that this is for a natural speller. My younger is a natural speller...so this is something I will consider for him when the time comes. Thank you!

Spelling Workout didn't work for my struggling speller. It was just one of the many programs that I ended up ditching. We are now using Phonetic Zoo from IEW. ds is an auditory learner and that is working well for him. He plugs in his earphones and listens - no need for me to read endless lists of words.:)

The best I have been able to find is at rainbow resource. You can look at the table of contents for each book as well as about 1 page of the workbook. I looked at the samples for each and every level to give me a bit of an idea how the series goes.

It's not much of a sample, but it might help a little bit. I would have placed my 2nd grader in Level C if I had gone with SWO. In general, I think you work on level for an average speller, and above level for a good speller.

Also, if I may ask, what did you not like about AAS?

Edited by sixpence1978

We are using Sequential Spelling (SS) this year with my 4th grade, non-natural-speller and it is a great match for her.

There have been a couple of fascinating threads recently about the difference between SS and AAS. My understanding is that AAS is explicit (thus the teaching-intensiveness) and SS is implicit. If AAS wasn't a good match, maybe SS would work.

SS has 25 words a day, many from the same root family. The rest of the week's words are the same root with suffixes and prefixes added on. While the spelling rules aren't explicitly explained, my child picked up on the patterns. Correct spelling has carried forth in her outside writing.

All children are different and what works for one may not work for another. I know SS is questioned for lack of research to back up the theory of the author. All I can tell you is it worked for my child (and makes a ton of sense to me!).

I love SS. It is inexpensive (you can get the first book for $7) and has enough words for 180 days. Here are the words for day 41:

show low blow blower slow flow glow below grow outgrow crow stove rove grove Jove cove dove clove over clover rover slower grower mow mower.

Tomorrow includes: shows lower slower stoves crows...

You get the picture.

So, there is lot of repetition of the roots.

I've had all three of our children do at least one Spelling Workout - and we've worked in books from A to G. That series never made sense to me for either my natural spellers or my not-so-natural one. The words seem so random. I love SS. It is...Sequential:)