Menu

old

Paisley Hedgehog

Regarding Susan's posts below, I started thinking about the difference in Kingfisher history books. When I was shopping off Half.com, a seller I was buying several other books from had a hb 1999 of the KF History Encyclopedia (King Tut's mask and Civil War soldiers on the cover) so I bought it. Now I'm wondering if it is the "right" one?

What is the big difference between the 1993 edition and the newer ones? Is it only about the teaching of outlining as a skill, something where some folks prefer the earlier version? Or is there something else that makes the 1993 version preferable?

I'm a book junkie and it is really too easy to convince me to buy more books. But I'd rather not re-buy this one if I don't need to! TIA

My understanding is that all the versions from 1999 and up are the same. I think there are a couple of different covers. I think the version saying 1999 and 2002 is different from those that just say 1999, but content is almost identical, though I only own the one that says both 1999 and 2002. The version I prefer is the older version. The title is actually different, "Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World" and it has a white cover. Mine has a copyright of 1992 and 1993. These were really expensive about a year ago, when I first saw one at Powell's books (around $100). Since they have come down and I bought one used for about $20 of Amazon.

The Illustrated version is written in more of a traditional paragraph form, instead of bullets of facts, which is what usually makes it the "right" one. People want it so their child can outline it, and the newer versions are stripped down to an outline already. If you didn't have plans to use it for outlining than the 1999 version is a fine overview of history.

Heather