Menu

question about FLL and WWE

nina78

I am new to TWTM way of school. My oldest son is 10 and has not had any writing lessons. I hate writing.:ack2: So... I am wondering where to start him. He hasn't done any dictation either. And very little copywork. We are using SL and he is on level 3. And like I said earlier I usually skip the writing because I find it hard. Any advice from others as to where to start him with these two resources??? TIA!

Thanks, I don't mind doing it with him. I just need more intstruction than SL gives. I am not a good writer. It is the subject that scares me to teach. I don't expect him to teach himself. I just need alot of help in order to teach him.

Will they be coming out with the next levels in WWE anytime soon????

I am new to TWTM way of school. My oldest son is 10 and has not had any writing lessons. I hate writing.:ack2: So... I am wondering where to start him. He hasn't done any dictation either. And very little copywork. We are using SL and he is on level 3. And like I said earlier I usually skip the writing because I find it hard. Any advice from others as to where to start him with these two resources??? TIA!

I don't know if it will help you make a decision but I have just this week started my 9yo dd on both FLL 1 and WWE 1 and that is with doing dictation with SL since K. Now I am not doing any of the written work in FLL, just the oral work.

WWE 1 will have you do copywork and narration. Can he do narration? My 9yo did it fine for 6 months then one day (out of the blue) started doing narrations as if it were a play and she was telling every detail (????). No matter how I tried she couldn't get back to summarizing, so I am using WWE level 1 to get her back there. Dictation begins in level 2 of WWE.

I will say that WWE does a better job of holding your hand, down to telling you what to say. Now at the level 1 workbook level they have you take the narrations and do them orally then have the child copy them (I just write it at the top of the workbook page). It isn't until later that they go directly from thought to writing.

Heather

I don't know if it will help you make a decision but I have just this week started my 9yo dd on both FLL 1 and WWE 1 and that is with doing dictation with SL since K. Now I am not doing any of the written work in FLL, just the oral work.

WWE 1 will have you do copywork and narration. Can he do narration? My 9yo did it fine for 6 months then one day (out of the blue) started doing narrations as if it were a play and she was telling every detail (????). No matter how I tried she couldn't get back to summarizing, so I am using WWE level 1 to get her back there. Dictation begins in level 2 of WWE.

I will say that WWE does a better job of holding your hand, down to telling you what to say. Now at the level 1 workbook level they have you take the narrations and do them orally then have the child copy them (I just write it at the top of the workbook page). It isn't until later that they go directly from thought to writing.

Heather

My son has never done narration or dictation. Thanks Heather, that does help. I didn't want to start him too low, or too high. The poor guy is my oldest and my guinea pig. He is always getting tossed from one thing to another. Thanks again!

If you're happy with the grammar included in the SL Language Arts program, I don't see the point of switching to FLL.

For WWE, I would probably start him at Level II since he hasn't done much dictation or copywork.

2nd that recommendation. and I'd start him on FLLFTWTM 3.

for WWE, I'd personally go with just the workbook rather than the text. and for FLL you'll need the teacher guide and the student workbook.

K

Thanks, I don't mind doing it with him. I just need more intstruction than SL gives. I am not a good writer. It is the subject that scares me to teach. I don't expect him to teach himself. I just need alot of help in order to teach him.

Fwiw, I'm writing phobic myself and absolutely positively could not teacher my 9.5 yo 'writing' with any other program. This has been a lifesaver.

We do 2 lessons most days and will start skipping lessons soon b/c she's 'getting' it. Today at our homeschool group, in her Jr. Great Books class, she was given an assignment to 'write an essay' talking about the lessons she learned from their reading selection. She wasn't at all nervous or concerned about it and actually wanted to do it tonight.

Knock me over with a feather. Two months ago, the request for an essay would have incited tears, tantrums and more. I still can't quite believe it. This is a child who 10 weeks ago couldn't give me a 'complete' sentence upon request and is dyslexic and dysgraphic.

:)

K

Fwiw, I'm writing phobic myself and absolutely positively could not teacher my 9.5 yo 'writing' with any other program. This has been a lifesaver.

We do 2 lessons most days and will start skipping lessons soon b/c she's 'getting' it. Today at our homeschool group, in her Jr. Great Books class, she was given an assignment to 'write an essay' talking about the lessons she learned from their reading selection. She wasn't at all nervous or concerned about it and actually wanted to do it tonight.

Knock me over with a feather. Two months ago, the request for an essay would have incited tears, tantrums and more. I still can't quite believe it. This is a child who 10 weeks ago couldn't give me a 'complete' sentence upon request and is dyslexic and dysgraphic.

:)

K

Thanks for the encouragement. I will definetly start this, just as soon as I can!!!