Menu

Math Sequence

So we picked up Lial's Basic College Mathematics and ds15 is doing well working through it. Just for my information, when he finishes this where do we go next? He struggles with math and I want to both instill confidence but also help him prepare for college. If he remains in public school using the virtual option he will graduate in '22 but if he comes home for good he can realistically graduate in '23 (ps grade skipped him after 4th grade). He took Algebra twice in PS (by choice he passed both times but we are not sure how exactly) and Geometry last year. Once he came home we discovered that he could not do simple multiplication or division and couldn't pass a placement test for even TT's pre-algebra. He is enrolled in the school's Algebra 2 class for this year's virtual learning. I know this is a bad option BUT he attends a tiny school and there are no other options for him there other than to move forward.

So there is ONE math teacher at his school. There is also one of every other core class teacher and three electives teachers. There is absolutely no independent study or distance learning provider. Downside of going to a very small charter school that focuses on the arts but for his emotional and social health it was the best option at the time. I will text the guidance counselor and see what he suggests by way of not doing math this year and just getting credit by taking the end of course or something