Menu

Brave Writer online classes

kristin0713

We have done a lot of BW over the years--WJ, Jot it Down, Partnership Writing, lots of free writes, poetry teatimes, etc.  I have not done this perfectly, but I've implemented a lot of the principles.  I'd say our biggest struggle is at the revision stage and knowing how much change to encourage.  I'm looking at having my 13yo take two BW  online classes before the school year is up--Write for Fun and Middle School Writing Projects.  My two main goals for this are for her to start learning how to navigate an online class with accountability from another instructor, and for her to receive constructive feedback on her writing.   

Any experience with these classes?  How much did the instructor's feedback help your child?  I know WJ is recommended as a first online class but I  really do not want to do that.

33 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I think you’re asking two different things, so I’m going to answer in to parts. 

As a writing class, the BW instructors’ feedback for us (classes were titled different when she took jr high classes so not 100% it’s the same classes) always were thorough, and positive. That was the same at the HS level. They build up and don’t rip down and typically leave good feedback. For that reason, I think it would be a good intro for what you are wanting as far as gentle and not intimidating. The time flexibility is nice too. I do personally think BW classes are a bit light compared to other providers writing courses, but as an intro light is typically great. 

The platform though (unless something has changed in the last few months) is a bid different format than any other class dd has done online- usually through Canvas or maybe Blackboard, so that part didn’t translate over. Without a live component and multimedia to access with calendars, google hangout, chat, and announcements etc. I think you still might have a learning curve there for future online classes. I highly recommended WTMA Study Skills for an intro to that of its still offered- I felt like that was a great class dd took summer after 8th grade for learning what an online class was about with good instruction on expectations , hoe to access how to handle the inevitable technical snags etc. and just a range of things. 

All this is good with me!  From what I understand, BW Online is more of a message board format, and that's fine for now.  Thanks for the WTMA rec!