Menu

They are LOVING the Shakespeare unit!

Just in case anyone's wondering whether the WTM literature recommendations for 6th grade are actually doable (I had my doubts), my 5th and 7th grader are having a BLAST with it! We did Henry V, basically as recommended in WTM, and now we're doing Much Ado About Nothing because it's one that I'm very familiar with. Both kids are amazed at how much they like Shakespeare. Quote: "I thought you were just being Mom when you said Shakespeare was funny, but he really is!"

For Henry V: We reread the relevant chapter from SOTW 2 to set the scene, then we watched the Kenneth Branagh film, then they read the graphic novel version with the original text, then we divided up the roles between the 3 of us and read the whole play.

For Much Ado About Nothing: They read the narrative version from Leon Garfield's Shakespeare Stories II, we watched the Kenneth Branagh film today (they laughed hysterically), and we'll read the play next week!

You can do it! Just let them fool around with it as much as they want. My kids love making up stupid voices for each character. It maybe makes the day longer, but a long day where they're having fun is 100x better than 45 minutes where they're miserable because Shakespeare is hard. Correct them only when they read something very incorrectly, and occasionally "translate" it if it seems like they're not following. It's fun it's fun it's fun! Try it!

• Like 13