Menu

Center for Lit, or other 6th grade online literature options?

Taffy

I’m considering enrolling my 6th grade son, who is an advanced reader, in an online literature class at “Center for Lit.”  Before I commit to the class, I’m exploring other options in case there is a better fit for him.  

In addition to Center for Lit, I also looked at Veritas Press, Open Tent, Brave Writer and Wilson Hill Academy.  WHA’s class called “Don’t Miss These Books” seems ideal because of the weekly format and the book list; but the 9:30 am start time will be too early for us on the west coast. 

Center for Lit meets only once per month, after reading each book.  The sample video classes look great, but I don’t think my son will appreciate having to wait weeks to discuss the book.  By then, he’ll be onto the next book and the discussion of the past book will be anticlimactic.  (I realize I could prevent him from reading the books until the last minute; but that’s just one more thing for me to orchestrate. Another downside of this class is that he's already read four of the nine books.)

I’d prefer a class with live online verbal discussion only – no writing or project component.  I just want the kid to enjoy the books and to engage in thoughtful discussions and analyses.  

I’d appreciate your suggestions…

Thank you.