Menu

Writing help for multiple grades

pocjets

I know people ask writing questions all the time, and now I’m asking another one. I need something that I can successfully teach. I will have kids in grades 8th, 7th, 5th, 3rd, and 1st. The older one has done WWE, and WWS 1. Middle kids have done WWE and Writing Strands 3 and 4. I’m not a huge fan of Writing Strands. I do like the first 2 levels of WWE but don’t like level 4 or WWS. I think it’s a good program but a bit over complicated. Any ideas?? I’m fine having different curriculum for different ages. 

We’ve used many of the things you have, except I think I only used WS2. I can tell you what I’m using next year for 8th, 5th, and 3rd. I was leaning towards EIW 8 with my ds, but I’m also considering The Lively Art of Writing with the workbook that’s posted somewhere around here. If he wasn’t going to public school for high school, I might continue with the Bravewriter we’ve been using this year. I may still do that and combine the two. I may also give in to my more worried self and go with EIW8 plus pay the extra money for their grading. I can’t afford to outsource it completely, but it seemed like a good middle ground for our needs and my budget.

Both my 3rd/5th dds are far more prolific writers than their brother. I’m going to use BW Partnership Writing with both of them.

Whatever you decide, you could probably combine the 8/7 and the 5/3 and use WWE1 with the first grader since you said you liked that level.