Menu

Unbroken young reader edition

My son read it this year (age 10 1/2). He's obsessed with flight and really got a lot out of the story. There is some violence in it, including beatings, that could be disturbing for sensitive children.

I haven't read either, but my DH read both. He felt it the YA version would be okay for our son who is mature and has some knowledge of atrocities in the world. He and his dad had some good talks about it after. We have not let him view the film, but will preview it to make a decision in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

I've read the original version and listened to the young reader audiobook. I thought the young reader version was an excellent adaptation. The story did not feel disjointed or truncated at all (I read the adult version first). The biggest difference between the two is in how the time in the POW camp is described. The sadistic behavior of the guards is not described in the young reader version, but there is still description of the abuse and extreme hardships that the prisoners faced. i felt like that part of the book was really well done in the adaptation. I think students will get an idea of the atrocities of war and POW camps without being exposed to all the details that are in the original book. As for appropriate age, I would say maybe 12 and up? I'm not sure. My oldest is only 7, so I haven't entered into that stage of parenting and schooling yet. She was in the car when we listened to the audiobook, so I wouldn't say it's inappropriate for younger ages, but I probably won't have her read it on her own until early middle school.