Menu

Starting in the middle questions

runamuk

I'm starting SOTW with my 8yo 3rd grader. I have SOTW 1, the Activity Guide, Usbourne Encyclopedia of World Histoy (Internet Linked) and the Kingfisher Book of the Ancient World. I've looked through these books, because they're written for younger children, are much to easy for my daughter. What can I do/use/add to make these lessons more on her level? Are there other books I can use to add some challenge and interest to the subjects? She doesn't want coloring books, but would enjoy drawing, painting or crafting. She also enjoys reading.

For Language Arts, grammar and spelling, I was planning on continuing to use Wordly Wise 3000 and our Just Write book we bought from Winter Promise. Is there something else I could add? We have the Spellwell books (B & Bb) but they are much too easy for her (she's currently reading and spelling on a 6th grade level). I was thinking of taking misspelled words from her narrations and using those as her spelling words. Would that be enough?

My biggest concern is keeping her challenged and happy. She gets bored and angry when she does work that's too easy for her, and she loves learning. I want to keep it that way. :)

I'd encourage you to take another look at SOTW and Activity guide, as well as the others. It may seem simplistic to you, but my 6th grader (who has studied Beowulf and Song of Roland with Omnibus II so far this year) still enjoys SOTW.

I will give you that SOTW 1 is written to a slightly younger audience, but it forms a spine. You read the short chapter of SOTW, read the relevant page or so in Usborne/Kingfisher, narrate or write a summary paragraph, draw a picture, fill in the map, place figures on a timeline...that's at least an hour of history right there. Then you go to the library and check out every book they have on [fill in the blank]. These are the books that will challenge your daughter's reading skills and imagination. The supplementary reading lists in the AG list books recommended for all levels.

The comic book style of Usborne books doesn't appeal to everyone. I'm not sure whether you have the version I have, but I didn't care for it. DS loved it...still does. I haven't looked at the Kingfisher Book of the Ancient World, but I would think there's probably more there to interest and entertain most kids.

If after more consideration you think it's still just too easy for her, then take a look at the WTM middle grade suggestions. The Kingfisher Encyclopedia of World History (or Kingfisher History Encyclopedia) is intended for middle grade students. If your DD enjoys drawing more than coloring, try the "Draw and Write Through History" Books. We bought the one for the Middle Ages this year and DS really likes it. We use a different source for writing/copywork, but the drawing practice is fun.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please stick around and keep asking questions. There are some very wise people here who can help you find the answers. Gotta go. The timer for dinner just beeped. Good luck with your search!

I started SOTW1 this last summer with my 9yo. We used the CD version read by Jim Weiss. Even though it was easy for her, she enjoyed it VERY much - we all did, ages 3, 5, 9, and 37 (me). We were so fascinated with the Greeks that we went off on a side road for a while, which we are still on, reading all kinds of books on the Greeks. We started with an audio CD read by Jim Weiss; I think the title was Greek Myths. My daughter listened to the CD, which we got from the library, probably 20 times. I now consider her an expert on Greek Myths. We also listened to several other versions of Greek Myths, like D'Aulaires and Tanglewood Tales, and several others which I checked out from our library. Then, I purchased a book from Yesterday's Classics titled "The Golden Age of Greek Heroes", and I scheduled weekly independent readings in that book for her. I also purchased a digital recorder, and I've asked her to record her thoughts about her readings. I listen to her recordings on my own time and then give her tips on how to improve her recordings, or I just use the recordings as an opportunity to engage in a conversation with her about her readings. She's about 2/3 of the way through that book, just reading 1 chapter a week. I'm also reading a book on my own (adult reading level) titled The Greek Way. It's fascinating! Our culture is so reminiscent of the Greeks. Prior to our studies I had no idea! I figure we will tire of the Greeks sometime in the Winter or Spring and move onto the Romans. We'll pick up SOTW again and I'm sure we will not be able to resist reading and listening to other titles on the subject.

I would like to encourage you to have fun and enjoy this ride with your child. If you have fun by adding library books, audio books, any kind of projects that either of you think of or find in the Activity Guide, she will be challenged, learn a ton, and you both will have lifelong happy memories to share. One more idea to add challenge is to engage in a conversation with your child about the subject. You can talk about the culture you just learned about, how it may be similar or different from our culture, what you like or dislike about them. This is where the real learning takes place - making connections and interacting with the subject matter. You can be her mentor and guide in this process.

Enjoy! ;)

Edited by JenniferB

Thank you both for the perspective and all the ideas. :) The different book titles are a huge help and I really like the idea of using audio books/recordings.

I'm very encouraged to hear that other children my daughter's age are using this curriculum and are enjoying it. I'm just worried about her losing her love of learning - that's why we decided to homeschool in the first place - and am nervous about making the switch to a different history program.

Christine...this is such an exciting time for you! Congratulations! I just wanted to add that my 7th grader uses SOTW. Though the reading level is not difficult, the information they get from the book and Kingfisher is plenty for any child, especially when you add in supplemental literature and library books at their level. My son reads SOTW, Kingfisher, does the mapwork, narration, timeline and reads high school level literature. My 2nd grader reads SOTW, Usborne, does the mapwork, oral narration, timeline/notebooking page, then reads literature at her level. We also do read alouds that the whole family enjoys. I just wanted to reassure you that she will be learning much more history than they would at regular school. You can adapt it so she won't get bored...

As far as Language Arts, I'm not familiar with Just Write... There is a ton of info on this board... I've learned so much here and everyone is willing to help! Good luck! :D

Christine,

If you are nervous about teaching ancient history and following the 4 year chronological sequence, which means it would be 4 years before you get to US History, you are not alone. I too was nervous about that, especially since it's taken me about 4 years to feel comfortable with homeschooling, and I've been switching back and forth on philosophies ever since I started, and I'm still on Greek History going very slowly! I am now fully sold on the classical approach, but with a Charlotte Mason twist. Charlotte Mason taught her students English history at the same time as teaching another time period, such as ancient history. When I heard about this I felt free to add in a US History book to my daughter's readings. So, she rotates - Greek History 1-2 days per week and US History 1-2 days per week depending on how long the chapters are (she reads 1 chapter per week). If the chapters are long she breaks the reading up into 2 day readings, and if the chapter is short she just reads the full chapter in 1 sitting, and she explains what she has read on her digital recorder. For US History I use "The Light and the Glory for Children". This is US History from a Christian perspective. This book comes in a set of 2 or 3 books, but we are still on the 1st book, so I don't know what the titles are for the 2nd and 3rd books. I also have some picture books from the "A Picture Book of _____" series. (I have several of these books that span the history of America featuring famous people such as: Abraham Lincoln, Eleanore Roosevelt, several others.) I just add in these picture books where they fit with in with The Light and the Glory.

When I decided to add in US History along with ancient history I was also nervous about the facts and people getting jumbled up in her mind, so to help with that issue I made a Book of Centuries, which is also a Charlotte Mason idea. Whenever we encounter a famous person or event in either history book I try to find an image of the person, or a famous painting of the event on the web. I size it down to fit in her Book of Centuries, and she cuts & pastes that in her book at the appropriate time in history. If you want to use this approach and you need some help implementing it, you can pm me, and I can give you some tips or pictures of what our book looks like.

It took me some time this early fall to get all these things worked out, but once I got the books, and put together the reading schedule, and got the Book of Centuries made, and the digital recorder purchsed, it makes for a really good approach to history. I feel like we're doing everything we're supposed to be doing, and it's really doable. My daughter also really enjoys history. When I ask her which books she likes best, it's hard for her to decide. She just lists off all her books, and can't think of one that she dislikes. So, I also know that the joy of learning is there.

I hope this isn't too much information, but I hope it helps you to feel free to add in US History if you don't want to wait 4 more years before coving it. I felt very free once I heard that many other moms who follow TWTM have a Charlotte Mason twist, and cover US History along with the recommended 4 year rotation. You might want to check out Ambleside Online, if you have lots of time to web surf. They have the Charlotte Mason education books and summaries on line to read. I spent many hours early this fall reading on that site and the corresponding yahoo support groups. I've stopped reading there now, because I have my groove now, and I don't follow Ambleside Online wholeheartedly. I just use the site for ideas.

Sorry this is so long. I have to get back to hsing now. :tongue_smilie: