Menu

What should I do after RSO Level 1?

carrierocha

We are a very science-y family. I've typically purchased at least 2 science curriculums each year, then morphed them into one fairly deep study for my kids and the kids from another family. We do lots of hands on stuff and I'm not afraid of buying special supplies.

Last year with Chemistry I taught based off of Ellen McHenry and Middle School Chemistry free online curriculum, then found labs through the Royal Society of Chemistry out of the UK. 

Now we're into Physics and my friend asked for more of a spine or text or something that she could use to reinforce the class lectures at home. In my mind I had hoped to get something that my friend and I could read at home, then just use 75 minutes of class time to do demonstrattions and light labs (we're dealing with 3rd-8th graders). Secretly I had hoped that if we read stuff at home, then I wouldn't have to lecture much at all.

I bought Novare Physical Science. Oh my goodness is it dry. I mean crazy boring dry. I adore science and I cannot even remember anything out of it. I really am spoiled through homeschooling to usually work with engaging resources.

So - now I'm wondering what else might be a good spine for us to use for middle grade - with a couple youngers tagging along - physics? Could be a book, could be a website, but I could use some help. 

I'm aware of all the usual suspects: Elemental, NOEO, Real Science 4 Kids, etc. Anything else that would be a strong spine, but I'd gladly supplement with other books, videos, and labs.

Can you elaborate on what you loved about it? Can you tell me a bit about the labs, if any?

The labs or hands on demonstrations were constant. That was the biggest selling point with my kiddo. LOL

I loved that it didn't talk down to the kids, it was super easy to use in a busy homeschool, a kid could run it themselves if we chose to use it that way, it used proper terms, the projects really packed a conceptual punch, there was a bit of math included but separated so it could be skipped easily.

The kiddo that first used Bite-size Physics had previously insisted she only liked animal or nature science and the rest of science was boring. After a year with Science Jim she went onto chemistry next and loved it. She now considers herself an all out STEM kid and is taking astronomy and environmental science in 8th grade with an eye on returning to physics in 9th.