Menu

Learning challenges (dyslexia?) and piano study

Doran

Dd 11 continues to improve across the board, but she also continues to be a very slow and often struggling reader and speller. Math is also sometimes difficult, but she "holds her own" as they say.

I am curious about how/if any of your similarly challenged students have managed music studies. Dd began piano lessons two years ago, January. Last year, she really blossomed, and she received much praise from her teacher. But, in recent months, her interest has appeared to wane. She is no longer homeschooled, so practice time is now relegated to after school when her brain is tired and her patience is thin from spending the day in classes. Also, the piano study is becoming more challenging as she progresses with the upshot being that the whole experience is less enjoyable and more work. Basically, she has to THINK more to accomplish her weekly lessons; the work no longer comes as easily to her.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is there a method or approach we might consider to help her find the joy in playing again? She's begun saying she no longer wants to take piano at all, which disappoints me greatly. And, if you have thoughts to share, I'd love to know how you feel these types of learning challenges affect a student's *ability* to study piano or any other instrument.

Dd 11 continues to improve across the board, but she also continues to be a very slow and often struggling reader and speller. Math is also sometimes difficult, but she "holds her own" as they say.

I am curious about how/if any of your similarly challenged students have managed music studies. Dd began piano lessons two years ago, January. Last year, she really blossomed, and she received much praise from her teacher. But, in recent months, her interest has appeared to wane. She is no longer homeschooled, so practice time is now relegated to after school when her brain is tired and her patience is thin from spending the day in classes. Also, the piano study is becoming more challenging as she progresses with the upshot being that the whole experience is less enjoyable and more work. Basically, she has to THINK more to accomplish her weekly lessons; the work no longer comes as easily to her.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is there a method or approach we might consider to help her find the joy in playing again? She's begun saying she no longer wants to take piano at all, which disappoints me greatly. And, if you have thoughts to share, I'd love to know how you feel these types of learning challenges affect a student's *ability* to study piano or any other instrument.

My ds started piano after finishing VT (he couldn't track a line of type across the page) and OT (fine and gross motor along with language problems) We started VERY slowly and easy with piano.

However he now has a demanding, yet excellent teacher for him. His attitude toward piano enerally depends on how well the last lesson went and if I'm insisting he practice when he doesn't want to. His biggest problem is that he won't follow instructions and refuses assistance with his practices. That means he won't tap out the rhythm first, he won't count and he argues if his father corrects his playing. His problems are no longer LD's, but bullheadiness.

For your dd, you might try a break for a month or two. Everybody needs a vacation. Also can you change practice times to before school? When I was "afterschooling", we actually did the tough work before school because that's when ds was fresh.

Yep, this child is most definitely my stubborn, impulsive one. She does not take so well to being "instructed" in something she'd really rather not be doing at all. I have to put on my most patient head when I step in. ;)

We did take a break over the summer, so we've only been back at piano for a couple months now. I asked her instructor last week if she could consider doing an hour-long lesson every two weeks rather than half an hour every week. The teacher was not willing to take that on, and frankly, I'm not sure it would be beneficial anyhow. It just gives dd more of an opportunity to procrastinate practicing.

I have to say, I can't see getting her practice time in before school. It's a nice idea, and she would be fresher. But, as it is, we're up at 6:30 and out the door by 7:30, so there's not a lot of wiggle room in there.

Thanks for your thoughts, though. It helps to keep batting ideas around.

So, is your son fully capable of learning the music now? In other words, I shouldn't concern myself with the work being "too hard"? (I don't really feel that it is too challenging, only that dd doesn't want to have to think very hard about the notes or the rhythm if she doesn't get it right off.)

So, is your son fully capable of learning the music now? In other words, I shouldn't concern myself with the work being "too hard"? (I don't really feel that it is too challenging, only that dd doesn't want to have to think very hard about the notes or the rhythm if she doesn't get it right off.)

He hasn't yet reached the level where he's playing complex melodies and counter melodies at the same time. He may run into more difficulty there because of needing to read two complicated staffs. Coordination may also be difficult for him at that time. But I think he'll be able to handle it with extra practice.

One thing I've just started, but don't know if it'll work is if he blows a lesson, he has to do 3-15 minute practice sessions instead of just 2. I'm hoping that he'll start following advice more quickly if poor lessons are followed by more practice sessions.

Please.... tell me where to get a "most patient head." I desperately need one!

...they have them at Target, in with the shampoo and conditioner. :001_huh:

ROFL!! I think it's easier to have a "most patient head" when you're not the one extracting work from your child all day long. Having her gone 6 hours a day really takes the edge off. But, it *might* not be worth the compromise, you know?