Menu

Latin Recommendations for grade 5 and 7

We've dabbled in Latin a bit (used part of Prima Latina a few years ago, then part of Getting Started with Latin) but I really want to make it a priority in the fall. I'd like to keep my boys together -- they are 5th and 7th graders.

Prima Latina didn't go over especially well because of all of the writing -- my 5th grader is fairly writing-averse. 

Getting Started with Latin was good and they enjoyed it.

I've considered Latina Christiana, knowing that it will be too easy for the 7th grader but some Latin is better than none, right? I don't think the 5th grader would do well with First Form. 

I've also considered Visual Latin but think it'll quickly get too hard for the 5th grader. We really liked Word Up with Dwane Thomas, though. 

I've evaluated Spanish for Children and was not impressed, so Latin for Children is not really on my radar although I'm open to feedback. 

What about Lively Latin? Would that be a good fit for those ages? 

I prefer programs with video because I have only had limited Latin exposure myself (although I've studied other languages.)

Would love feedback. :)

Thanks!

If it were me I would look at the samples of First Form Latin with my 5th grader before deciding whether he wouldn't do well. The page for First Form (https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/latin/first-form-latin/) has samples of the texts as well as the video lessons. When I used it with a writing averse student I didn't have him write out everything in the workbook. We did some of the exercises orally and some of them written.

If First Form is definitely off the table you might consider Latin Alive! or Latin for the New Millennium. Both use a grammar based approach but include more translating early on than the Form Series. Latin for the New Millennium is rather pricey but it is a solid program.

I've never used Latin Alive! myself but I know several homeschoolers who have and they liked it. Maybe someone else on the forum has more experience with it.

Good luck.