Menu

MBTP Language arts.

I know several on here use MBTP LA as their full LA. Though I want to trust in it, we have slacked on it because I can't seem to see the big picture as we go through the units. The sometimes feel random and disjointed.

Anyway, we just finished up CAT testing, and I'm not impressed with our LA scores. We need to knuckle down with LA and be sure the kids understand our own language.

If you use MBTP LA as your sole LA, and you do testing, how well do your kids do on it?

I really want an all in one LA and its the only secular one out there, so before test scores I decided that we were going to just go with it, but now I'm nervous and thinking we may need something with more explicit instruction.

The sad fact is that an all in one isn't all it's cracked up to be. That is why I spilt ours up. If it were me, (and it was) I would look for individual options for grammar, writing instruction, and spelling.

What areas did your kids' scores show need work?

Sounds like all you need is a grammar resource. Exercises in English by Loyola Press is an excellent, simple option for a workbook.

We really like FLL but you have so many other options.

I have had a good long talk with myself, I had to admit that the same reason I wouldn't buy a boxed curriculum is why I need to not use an all in one LA. We need to focus on things specific to each kid, and those things can change at any given time.

I went over and over and over the options for each component, narrowed down and narrowed down again, and think I finally have a plan that will cover all the components of LA without overwhelming us.

Thanks for your first reply, it really made me think about what we really need.