Menu

Analytical Grammar & Junior AG Scheduling?

whiteisle

I'm thinking (still deciding between this and another program) I might get AG for my almost 13 DS and JAG for my just turned 11 DD.  I am also thinking I'll get the Beyond the Book Report for DS and integrate that according to the schedule outlined on the AG site.  But I'm wondering what to do with DD after she's finished the JAG Grammar and the JAG Mechanics in regards to writing/composition.  Would starting something like Winning with Writing make sense (basically almost at the end of the year)?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around scheduling so that she is working on some part of grammar and/or writing for the whole year while DS is working on his (already planned out) schedule.

Any help welcomed! :)

I'm thinking (still deciding between this and another program) I might get AG for my almost 13 DS and JAG for my just turned 11 DD.  I am also thinking I'll get the Beyond the Book Report for DS and integrate that according to the schedule outlined on the AG site.  But I'm wondering what to do with DD after she's finished the JAG Grammar and the JAG Mechanics in regards to writing/composition.  Would starting something like Winning with Writing make sense (basically almost at the end of the year)?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around scheduling so that she is working on some part of grammar and/or writing for the whole year while DS is working on his (already planned out) schedule.

Any help welcomed! :)

An average 11yo is probably fine starting AG without JAG.

My kids study grammar and composition until they're "done" with grammar. JAG and AG only teach grammar. I would do a separate composition book alongside them instead of waiting until they're finished. I haven't used Winning With Writing, but I believe it's a whole year of composition and wouldn't fit at the end of the year anyway.

For what it's worth, my similarly aged children have used Cover Story (natural, creative writer) and Lost Tools of Writing (the I-can-sum-this-up-in-five-syllables writer) this year, and they've both worked through a level of Fix It! for grammar.

Edited by SilverMoon

An average 11yo is probably fine starting AG without JAG.

My kids study grammar and composition until they're "done" with grammar. JAG and AG only teach grammar. I would do a separate composition book alongside them instead of waiting until they're finished. I haven't used Winning With Writing, but I believe it's a whole year of composition and wouldn't fit at the end of the year anyway.

For what it's worth, my similarly aged children have used Cover Story (natural, creative writer) and Lost Tools of Writing (the I-can-sum-this-up-in-five-syllables writer) this year, and they've both worked through a level of Fix It! for grammar.

Thank you SilverMoon for your suggestion.  My daughter struggles quite a bit with all of grammar so I feel JAG would be best for her at this time.  But I suppose she could do a writing/composition program along side the grammar if it wouldn't overwhelm her.  That would have to be felt out along the way I suppose.

Thank you SilverMoon for your suggestion.  My daughter struggles quite a bit with all of grammar so I feel JAG would be best for her at this time.  But I suppose she could do a writing/composition program along side the grammar if it wouldn't overwhelm her.  That would have to be felt out along the way I suppose.

So a struggling kiddo, around 6th grade? That changes my tune a bit. JAG is only 11 weeks long at full speed, so you could stagger weeks of JAG with weeks of writing. If you don't finish all of the second JAG book just pick it back up next year.

Cover Story at full speed only lasts 2/3 of the school, but IMO it's best for kids who generally like writing and specifically don't mind creative writing.

My favorite gentle writing program for a struggler or pencil adverse kiddo is the Wordsmith series. I'd start with Wordsmith Apprentice, which has a cub reporter theme, and would be fun and light. It's designed for grades 4-6, but it's not babyish. She could likely finish it in a semester and move onto the Wordsmith level.

So a struggling kiddo, around 6th grade? That changes my tune a bit. JAG is only 11 weeks long at full speed, so you could stagger weeks of JAG with weeks of writing. If you don't finish all of the second JAG book just pick it back up next year.

Cover Story at full speed only lasts 2/3 of the school, but IMO it's best for kids who generally like writing and specifically don't mind creative writing.

My favorite gentle writing program for a struggler or pencil adverse kiddo is the Wordsmith series. I'd start with Wordsmith Apprentice, which has a cub reporter theme, and would be fun and light. It's designed for grades 4-6, but it's not babyish. She could likely finish it in a semester and move onto the Wordsmith level.

She loves language....but only the spoken variety! LOL  She detests any composition work but her grammar skills might have a play in that.  None of my kids are writers though so..... 

I'll check out the Wordsmith - that sounds interesting. :)