Menu

Writing Trails? Is it IEW? Something else?

scootiepie

My son will be in 6th grade next year, and so far, for writing he has finished WWE 1 -3, CAP W&R through Narrative II,

and I still don't feel like he is learning to write properly.  I might bite the bullet and go with IEW, and in looking around, I came across Writing Trails by Logos Press.

In the cover it says it is "Based on Andrew Pudewa's Excellence in Writing Program"

I'm not seeing enough of the sample or finding enough information to figure out if these are stand-alone type workbooks, independent of any IEW offerings,

or if they are a complement/supplement to IEW.

Would love some feedback on this if anyone if familiar with it.   Thank you.

Ok-  I looked at the website and Logos uses Matt Whitlings Imitation in Writing.  Which I really like.  I have  completely forgot about them. They are similar to IEW in idea, but not as thorough with skills.  I have taught both and very much like the simplicity of Whitlings.  However, I think the skills in IEW are an important part for most writers.  If your kid is a natural writer, with excellent word choice, sentence fluency, and only needs help with organization, I would go with Whitling.  If your kid is not a natural writer I would do at least one year of IEW.  I will be doing IEW with my own kid next year (6th grader too)  simply because I want him to craft the "super essay" in the intermediate level books.  I also like Whitings stuff for kids under 4th grade.  I think most of the skills taught in IEW are important to get in one or two doses in 4th, 5th, or 6th grade.  Thanks for reminding me of these fun, less expensive resources from Whitling. I have never used the Writing Trails, but I am sure they are very similar to Whitings work and not the exact same thing as IEW. 

Ok-  I looked at the website and Logos uses Matt Whitlings Imitation in Writing.  Which I really like.  I have  completely forgot about them. They are similar to IEW in idea, but not as thorough with skills.  I have taught both and very much like the simplicity of Whitlings.  However, I think the skills in IEW are an important part for most writers.  If your kid is a natural writer, with excellent word choice, sentence fluency, and only needs help with organization, I would go with Whitling.  If your kid is not a natural writer I would do at least one year of IEW.  I will be doing IEW with my own kid next year (6th grader too)  simply because I want him to craft the "super essay" in the intermediate level books.  I also like Whitings stuff for kids under 4th grade.  I think most of the skills taught in IEW are important to get in one or two doses in 4th, 5th, or 6th grade.  Thanks for reminding me of these fun, less expensive resources from Whitling. I have never used the Writing Trails, but I am sure they are very similar to Whitings work and not the exact same thing as IEW. 

• Like 1