Menu

Summer Computer Programming Ideas?

Hi Everyone,

I would like to start introducing my older kids to programming.   I was thinking that summer break was going to be the perfect time to work on this skill.   They EVENTUALLY (someday) want to learn to program mods with minecraft.   However, I think they need something in between?  But I am unsure of the best places to send them.   Visual basic?   Kid Coder?   Scratch?   Gamemaker?

Their only experience so far has been the hour of code online.   (They have done several different versions of that.)   Their ages are newly 9 and 10.   

Any suggestions?

P.S.  I also have a 3.5 year old who is going through a very needy "mommy-mommy-mommy" stage.   He is making it very hard to give my older kids a ton of one-on-one attention.   So as independent as possible would be great.    I know a little bit about programming and can help as needed.   BUT I'm 10 years out of the workforce....so probably everything has changed.