Menu

Combining Beautiful Feet w SOTW?

amyc78

Has anyone combined BF American History with SOTW 3/4?

We are finishing up SOTW 2 this year and I'm trying to decide between BF American History or going on with SOTW 3/4.... but then I thought maybe I'd do both? Would this be too much?

Kids will be 3rd and 5th...

I am combining them right now for Middle Ages but only using SOTW as a supplement (we just listen to the audio version- we do not do the activities). Using them both fully with all the activities would be overkill in my opinion. But picking and choosing what you like from each program and then combining them works well. At least it works if you are comfortable tweaking things and doing your own planning without having to check all the boxes.

I am combining them right now for Middle Ages but only using SOTW as a supplement (we just listen to the audio version- we do not do the activities). Using them both fully with all the activities would be overkill in my opinion. But picking and choosing what you like from each program and then combining them works well. At least it works if you are comfortable tweaking things and doing your own planning without having to check all the boxes.

That is what I am thinking. I like using SOTW as a spine but I am in love with the literature selections from BF for American History. What exactly do the BF packs include? Are there extra activities and map work that you find worthwhile? I am trying to decide if I just want to purchase the book list or buy the entire bundle...

I have not used the primary American history guides but we did Ancients and now Middle Ages for the intermediate grades. We have enjoyed BF book selections very much for the most part, with one or two exceptions. I just bought the BF guides and then used the library for the books. We do our own timeline. The intermediate guides have discussion questions, vocabulary words, a bit of map work here and there- all of which can be incorporated with note-booking. The guides have the readings scheduled out and suggested assignments for the day to do in the history notebook each child creates. I am not sure what the primary age assignments look like though.

If you are enjoying SOTW as a spine I think you could just use the BF book suggestions as a supplement and incorporate them yourself. The BF guides themselves are inexpensive if you want to just get a guide to look at assignments- most of the cost of the package is in all the books. Our library system has had almost all the books in both programs we have done.