Menu

Foerster-How many problems do you do?

I am using Foerster Algebra 1 with my daughters. I bought the Teacher's Edition from By Way of the Family, and find it invaluable. The TE has additional chalkboard examples, and suggests assignments for each day. Some of the lessons are intended to last an entire week, and others 1/2 day! In general, Foerster assigns only 3 word problems a day, since his are complex, but perhaps 20 problems if it's just a matter of solving for x. If you do follow the guidelines in the TE, however, the course will take at least 200 school days. It's a great text.

Good luck!

I usually have dd do all the odd problems for each lesson. That is our standard operating procedure. If I have doubts as to whether or not she understands something, I'll have her do the evens the next day. There are days that she is really slow or we have something going on so she'll only do part of a lesson.

Word problems are a different story. When it comes to the word problems lessons, we usually stretch it out to about three days. They are always a struggle for her at first, but usually by the end of the second day or third day, she's got it down.

I confess we only do math four times a week because we do an all-day coop that is quite a distance from home. It is too busy there to concentrate even during a free perioid, and, at the end of the day, we're pooped. We went through a couple of chapters at the end of the school year last year to try it out. That gave us a bit of a headstart so I'm hoping we'll be able to finish the book.

Dd is a SLOW worker but she grasps concepts rather easily.

HTH!