Menu

Air Force academy summer seminar

Hello y'all

When applying to the summer seminar for the 2017 session, I opted to not send my child's sat scores (it was optional)

He took the sat COLD with no prep and although the score wasn't horrible I know he will achieve a higher score in a March.

His status changed from "received" to "under consideration"

Anyone know the process, the timeline for acceptance or denial.

Should I go back and list his scores anyway??

He is taking five (5) AP Courses and maintains an A.

His rank is about 40 out of 536.

Runs varsity cc and track and has had a little leadership expire ce as well as NHS.

Thank you in adblvance for any info.

It takes a lot for me not to call or email up there. Don't want to be "that Mom".lol :)

I don't have any real experience, but I take optional scores as truly optional. If you don't think the SAT scores would help and certainly if you think they might harm his chances, then I wouldn't sent them. It sounds like he's a strong candidate without the SAT scores.

Also, "I" don't have any trouble being "that mom" and calling or emailing with mom questions on behalf of my student.

"Under consideration" is the  next step after "received," so that is normal. :) The time frame for hearing about AFASS is anywhere between Feb-April. AFA has a protocol for the screening/selection process and it will move along accordingly. You or your ds are not going to be able to "hurry it up." :)

If his SAT scores aren't good, they aren't going to help and if they were listed as optional, it means just that. A strong SAT score would help, definitely. But the lack of submitting scores when it is "optional" would likely mean the reviewers understand why. At this point, I would let it lie.

Your instinct to not call the AFA is right on. While civilian colleges may or may not find that acceptable, it is definitely a "black mark" for parents to call/communicate with the service academies during these processes. Service academies are a completely different experience than civilian universities; from the very start, the academies want to be sure that prospective cadets who are applying are initiators and self-invested. If indeed the waiting gets to be too hard, your ds could call admissions himself to ask about the time frame.

Am I right in assuming that your ds is considering applying for admission next year? If so, I would recommend that he significantly beef up his leadership activities - things like Civil Air Patrol, volunteering, work, and additional activities that make him stand out. Same with coursework. If he is taking the "normal" high school courses (even at AP level), can he add in an academic component that is uniquely distinguishing? 

One other thing--there is literally no correlation between being accepted to attend SS and receiving a future appointment. SS and admission to the AFA itself are completely different processes, and going to SS does not increase or decrease your chances of an appointment one iota. 

If you have other questions, feel free to pm me. I would be happy to share info based on our experiences.

• Like 1