Menu

Chart or article comparing approaches to Classical Ed?

I can't think of an actual article, sorry, but I will outline what I know, if it helps. 

My introduction to Classical Ed was through Classical Conversations.  It is neo-classical.  Totally fixed on Dorothy Sayer's article.  The three stages of Grammar, Dialectic, and Rhetoric are treated as rigid, based on age ranges.  I read TWTM.  It lays out many options for designing your program.  Skills build.

I also read Teaching the Trivium by Bluedorn.  This is the one that is marked up, pages bookmarked, heavily annotated.  This book goes through each of the three stages, giving many references to studies to back up the assertions being made.  It gave lots of good resources for starting all classical languages young, gave good advice in math (IMO), and takes Charlotte Mason seriously.  This was actually my introduction to seriously researching Charlotte Mason.  There is a lot of heart in this, a lot of meat. Seems very integrated.

I haven't read LCC but I am using Memoria Press, which I gather has been based on LCC, 2nd edition, or else LCC 2nd edition was based on MP--not sure without reading the book.  I can only answer for MP:  it is very classical--modern history is a summer-reading suggestion!  The literature guides are so well-integrated with the rest of the core curriculum, I am so thankful to be using it all.  Honestly, though, if I were just using pieces I think I would be happy with the results and not know what I was missing.  It is very well done, and I don't have to spend my summer worrying about curriculum!  We just "do the next thing."  It is lovely. 

It pairs nicely with Charlotte Mason practices; it is easily tweaked where I prefer to use CM practices without derailing the entire curriculum. 

I keep all the Classical books on my shelf, as I do Thomas Jefferson Education, but I refer most readily to the Bluedorn book.  It got overwhelming to try to put it all together, though, and I wasn't being as efficient or productive as I needed to be for my family.  So, MP is our home base, with tweaks.

I hope that helps you get started, and that someone else might be able to answer you more to your benefit.

• Like 1

And, I really should add that with MP the stages of Grammar, Dialectic, Rhetoric seem to be understood as stages we all go through when learning, but that it is possible for a young child to get to Dialectic in an area, and so forth.  More flexible, it seems to me.  More of a medieval usage of the words instead of Dorothy Sayers.