Menu

RealScience4Kids Building Blocks

My son is entering 6th grade.  We have not used any intense science curricula to date.  For the K-4 years, we used Oak Meadow.  We started shifting away from Oak Meadow during grade 4 and we found Classical Conversations for grade 5.  I'm happy with the program so far.  For grade 5 we used Apologia's science on human anatomy.  Now the he is in middle school, I think it is necessary to expose him on a more academic level with easy to do experiments to the various science fields.  I have been leaning towards RS4K and using the Building Blocks text for a somewhat in-depth overview of science.  The book looks very engaging, which I need in order to feel excited for science since this tends to be my weakest area as a home educator.  I am also leaning towards using the grade 5 version since it seems to be a bit more basic, which is what we need being that some of these topics will be the first time he has been exposed to it.

I was hoping for some feedback from those who are familiar with this curriculum.  Did you like the Building Blocks series?  Will grade 5 be adequate for a 6th grader? Does it sound like this book will give my son that overview of real science that I need at this point? If you have any better suggestions, I am open to those as well.  I need to order science books this week...talk about last minute planning this year :-D