Menu

Singapore Math Users - Extra Practice Book

I have just purchased Extra Practice 5 for my DD. She is nearing the end of 5B and will begin on 6A straight after. She would benefit from the extra practice tremendously, if only I had have included this in our program a couple of years ago.

Would you pick and choose topics in the EP book that you think she needs review on or just put her straight into the topic that we worked on last week/are working on now?

We're way behind you, but what I do is actually move ahead (slowly) with continuous review of old topics. I had the same thought as you, "If only I had gotten the extra SM practice books earlier!" and then I realized...it's not too late. So I went back and got the (intensive) practice books from last year and it has actually been wonderful: my daughter declares "Wow, this used to be hard for me, but now it's easy!"

This is just what works for us. We stick to only 5-10 mins. of easy review per day, not at all tied to the new material I'm introducing, as a confidence builder and way to make math more automatic/mix things up a little.

What I did this year is have her finish 4B and then start the extra practice book for review. I have no idea how helpful this method is but it's really easy to implement. We do it for review.

It would probably be better to use the extra practice book if a child hit a rough patch.

For next year, I purchased the Intensive Practice book. It looks great but I am wondering if I should have bought level 4 instead of 5. It doesn't look too tough in any case, as long as you pick and choose, I guess.

Thanks ladies :)

The Extra practice and Intensive practice books are very different though. From my understanding on what others have said about the two:

IP - is best done one level behind - so if working on 5A, IP 4A is good.

EP - is best done at level - so if working on 5A, EP5 is good.

IP is great for those who don't really need extra practice and so this works as a review.

EP is great for those kids who need a little extra practice, more than the workbook offers.

Not sure if this is correct info or helpful :)

Edited by Flowergirl159
  • Like 3

Thanks ladies :)

The Extra practice and Intensive practice books are very different though. From my understanding on what others have said about the two:

IP - is best done one level behind - so if working on 5A, IP 4A is good.

EP - is best done at level - so if working on 5A, EP5 is good.

IP is great for those who don't really need extra practice and so this works as a review.

EP is great for those kids who need a little extra practice, more than the workbook offers.

Not sure if this is correct info or helpful :)

Very helpful! Thank you!

This might mean I could use the IP book I already purchased after we finish the regular books for the year and it might just work.