Menu

S/O of Health Care poll - interesting Reason video

This illustrates the "health care is a responsibility" thinking.

If a person has passed up the opportunity to purchase an available employer-sponsored plan in favor of other uses of their money (beyond the true basics - shelter, food, etc.), is it fair for them to look to the government to - as is becoming popular - bail them out?

I could do some serious damage with the amount we pay per month for family health insurance, but I'd rather forego some luxuries (actually, some are "basics" to some of our friends - cable TV, newer cars, cell phones for the kids, etc.) to provide this for my family.

I agree that if you can get it, you should. When my dh had employer-sponsored coverage, there was no way we could afford it - the premiums were 25% of his income. It would have taken more than a week's pay to pay for it.

I kick myself for not buying individual coverage 10 years ago. If we had, we would probably still be covered. To get in now is beyond anything we can afford. I wish I could offer it to *my* employees!

This illustrates the "health care is a responsibility" thinking.

If a person has passed up the opportunity to purchase an available employer-sponsored plan in favor of other uses of their money (beyond the true basics - shelter, food, etc.), is it fair for them to look to the government to - as is becoming popular - bail them out?

I could do some serious damage with the amount we pay per month for family health insurance, but I'd rather forego some luxuries (actually, some are "basics" to some of our friends - cable TV, newer cars, cell phones for the kids, etc.) to provide this for my family.

Just an anecdotal data point ... take it for what you feel it's worth :)

My brother and his girlfriend managed to make a baby when he was 17 and she was 16. At the time, she had no health insurance. Her mother had a job with the state, and had access to good, inexpensive coverage for her daughter. She chose not to cover her daughter. She also chose for them to eat fast food for most meals, and had the full cable TV package.

When we found this out, my parents insured the girl.

So yes ... there are people out there who truly cannot get, and *truly* cannot afford healthcare, and that is what must be fixed. But a large number of people are like the people in that video, and my ex-SIL's family.

I would like to see us get away from employer programs. People change jobs so often now, that we need something with more flexibility.