Menu

2nd grade grammar workbooks

Aza

I have a 2nd grader who loves workbooks. At a local store I looked at a BJU 2nd grade grammar workbook and I liked the scope and sequence - how it starts with sentences/ending punctuation, capitalization, then goes on. I looked at the the Voyages in English workbook online and it looked good too, but they only have a few sample pages available. 

Does anyone have other suggestions or recommendations? 

I used Growing with Grammar last year with my 2nd grader. He really enjoyed it and could do it independently. It is NOT colorful though so if you are looking for that, you may also want to check out Abeka. FWIW, he will be using GWG again this year. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! 

pocjets, is there anything specific you liked about Growing with Grammar? I've been considering it. Colorful pages aren't important. The samples from Abeka were mostly writing assignments and I couldn't see the table of contents. Right now, I'm debating between BJU and Growing with Grammar. 

Ummm...my older 2 used GWG from 3rd-6th and retained zilch. It just does not have enough review/depth. The student book is merely a handbook of the rules and examples while the workbook is too easy to "plug and chug" with zero internalizing. There are no writing lessons in GWG. You would need to add their writing curriculum for those.

I used BJU with all 4 boys. If you use it, you will need to teach the lessons first. The workbook alone is not enough. It is intended to reinforce the lesson you (or the online/DVD) the teacher have taught. We chose to use the DVDs. You can skip the silly tests.

I used VIE with the next 2 boys. It was okay for an overview but we skipped the writing chapters. We didn't continue because the upper levels are too expensive for us. But, once again, you need to teach the lessons in 3rd on up. VIE 2 also does not have review. Each page is a new concept.

With both of these, we liked how it switched from a grammar to a writing chapter. This does require you to provide the review of the grammar concepts during the writing chapters. BJU, if I recall correctly, has that built into the TM lessons. VIE's TM for Grade 2 is merely a copy of the student book with the answers filled in. Both of these are expensive choices.

CLE is written to the student. The TM does have teacher directed lessons should you wish to use them but it isn't necessary. Review is provided each day. Writing is covered in each LightUnit. It is very easy to cross out the bits you do not want to use.