Menu

Questions about Alg. 2: A Fresh Approach

I am having trouble finding a suitable Algebra 2 course for my 11th grade son.  He did beautifully with CLE through their new Algebra 1.  He struggled through TT Geometry 2.0,and hated the format of the teaching/problems.  Now we need to pick a Alg 2 curriculum.  He is an average to good math student.  He likes Algebra better than Geometry.  

He did very well with CLE. He prefers to do his work alone so it needs to be self-teaching. I know I don't want Saxon or TT.  I thought he would do Forsters with Math Without Borders, but I'm worried that it is too challenging.  The fact that I can't resell the MWB definitely factors into the decision.  If it isn't a good fit, I won't be able to re-coup the cost and buy something else.  

A just saw a sample of Alg 2: A Fresh Approach which reminds me so much of the teaching in CLE.  Is it a solid program?  Does it cover all the topics in other traditional Alg 2 programs?  Is it rigorous enough for a decent math student?  Is it common core aligned or more traditional?  How easy it is for self-teaching?  I'm wondering if he will miss having video instruction.

Thanks for any help!

Thank you. What would be the reasoning for supplementing with Khan Academy? Just for the video aspect or are there gaps in this program?

I don't see any topic gaps in the Algebra 2 book.

For comparison here is Johns Hopkins CTY:

http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/courses/mathematics/algebra_2.html

The KA was for the videos and possibly to see an alternative presentation of a topic which can be useful for self-study folks.

There are certainly other Algebra 2 videos available for free as well.

IMHO if a video just walks through a problem that is also presented in the text book then they are typically not very useful.